PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I cracked open my first tin of Squadron Leader as I explore further the English category. Nice smoke! I am looking forward to a few more bowls.

I don’t smoke a lot so I need to be very selective, so I would appreciate any suggestions of your favorite blends to compare against. On my short list so far is Skiff Mixture and PS English Luxury.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Just my cents here, but I think English Luxury is kind of terrible (after smoking a lot of it) and can't be compared to the beauty and perfection of Skiff Mixture. Skiff is top-notch, though it is very different from Squadron. If you end up loving Skiff, try GLPease Samarra and Smokers' Haven Exotique Mixture -- two other favorites.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Squaddy is a fav. It holds court with King Charles, Presbyterian, Durbar, Aperitif, Standard Mixture Mellow, Charing Cross, Balkan Sasieni, Balkan Supreme, and Whiteknight for me in the sour/floral/woody Oriental forward, med-light Latakia, fruity/grassy VA "all-day English" category.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Squadron leader is a great mixture which I consider probably the best balanced of all the English blends in the way that no component is predominant and they all fuse very well.

If you want to try something else you should decide if there is some component you would like more prominent, for example if you want to try a blend with more latakia you should consider nightcap, or with less latakia or with oriental leaves or with perique or kentucky. My suggestion is going to tobacco review and play with the search field and looking to the results with highest scores. At the end it is all about your taste because what one would like you could hate and viceversa so you have to make your own research.

Reactions: docrameous

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Funny thing about Squadron Leader...I thought the original was meh, but w/perique is great...dunno how a little perique can make such a big difference.

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
Would say Rattray's Red Rapparee and McConnell's Oriental are in the same league. They're not similar, but share some features.
Maybe Early Morning also but I'm not familiar with today's danish recreation.

Aug 1, 2012
Esoterica And So To Bed is along the same lines as SL to me. Tougher to find but worth it. Aside from that, nothing comes to mind as being really similar. Love me some Squadron Leader though.

Status
Not open for further replies.