PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
It’s no surprise I love all things SG!
I’d like your thoughts on the differences between these two well known blends.

SL has the BBQ smell and tastes fuller and stronger with layers of flavor.

Skiff seems like a 1D taste profile, and I think I’m just getting the orientals. It tastes weaker and thinner.

The other reviews I read for Skiff have it being the stronger of the two but my experience is the opposite.

Reactions: mingc

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Skiff is a favorite of mine because of the Orientals. Let it sit for a year or two and its really mellow and smooth.

I think the SL is often called a basic or plain English blend, but I don't think that's bad. If its the bar to hold too, it's a good one.

I can smoke either year round. Skiff is my weekend at the lake/river/camp carry.

Reactions: OverMountain

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
I agree Skiff has less latakia and is more oriental forward than SL. Commonwealth is the latakia bomb in the SG lineup and my current favorite of the three.
I haven’t tried commonwealth. Add it to the list for the SG English trilogy!

The Skiff I bought was old and dried in the tin without much moisture from a B&M that had it for a while. I was thinking the weak taste of skiff may be from being old and dried out rather than “that’s just the way it is”.

I’ve got it in a mason jar to age. I also noticed the bottom half of the bowl was way better than the first.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
They are quite similar. Skiff is more oriental forward, but SL may have a higher quantity of Virginia leaf. In other words, I don't think SL has more Latakia but instead some of what is Oriental in Skiff is Virginia in SL, if that makes sense. It's just the ratios.

I have had tins with 10+ years of age and also some that was jarred for a number of years. For me, the SL is best fresh. The Skiff is good fresh too, but holds up after age better. The SL becomes uniform in color and flavor, whereas with the Skiff you can still pick out the different components. It's possible the tin you tried had been compromised if it were dry.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I haven’t tried commonwealth. Add it to the list for the SG English trilogy!

The Skiff I bought was old and dried in the tin without much moisture from a B&M that had it for a while. I was thinking the weak taste of skiff may be from being old and dried out rather than “that’s just the way it is”.

I’ve got it in a mason jar to age. I also noticed the bottom half of the bowl was way better than the first.
if you rehydrate the Skiff hopefully it brightens up I did this with a dried-out Solani Silver flake the flavor came right back.
I suspect there is also some Maryland in it as well as a nice Piney taste reminiscent of Astley's Consummate Gentleman but with a tidbit of SG sauce probably just from the processing equipment rather than an actual casing.

I like SL a lot too but as already mentioned Commonwealth is a Lat Bomb and mentions no Oriental just Va and Lat and it is super creamy definitely my preferred heavy Latakia over any other.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Surprising to hear SL doesn’t age as well, especially being a higher percentage of Virginia and Latakia.

What component gives SL that powerful BBQ tin note?
I think it ages great, especially the flakes but the new packaging doesn't seal so you got to jar it up and rehydrate if you get it dry. It usually comes so wet that it's still wet when you get it.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I just popped the seal on a tin of Squadron Leader that I acquired in August of 2019 (I date that tins when I get them). It has aged wonderfully. The virginias are sweeter and the latakia has mellowed to a point where, although it isn't in the background, it compliments the Virginias in the blend.

The blend is still very moist in my tin, with a little bit of rust at the corners, but nothing that concerns me with the other tins I have. The paper liner has turned a dark tan/light brown color where it was against the tobacco inside.

As I work my way through this bowl, I am finding that I really enjoy SL with some age on it over fresh. A lot of that may be due to my preference for Virginia blends though. I only pull out the English blends every once in a while. I am guessing that I will smoke through this tin and that will be the end of my travels with English blends for quite some time.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
It’s no surprise I love all things SG!
I’d like your thoughts on the differences between these two well known blends.

SL has the BBQ smell and tastes fuller and stronger with layers of flavor.

Skiff seems like a 1D taste profile, and I think I’m just getting the orientals. It tastes weaker and thinner.

The other reviews I read for Skiff have it being the stronger of the two but my experience is the opposite.
Skiff is great as it is disappointing. Superb blend but just too weak & thin to satisfy. You should try Gawith Hoggarth’s #25, #12 & Exmoor Mixture if you can.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Skiff is great as it is disappointing. Superb blend but just too weak & thin to satisfy. You should try Gawith Hoggarth’s #25, #12 & Exmoor Mixture if you can.
thank you for the recommendations! I’ll check them out. Been looking at the big bags that SG sells. Do they age well in the plastic bags or is a jar it up when you get it home type of packaging?

Can’t wait to try some aged Squadron Leader one day.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I like both. Skiff is a bit more bitter to me, but some orientals give me a bitter note. This is not a bad thing as I am an IPA fiend. Squadron Leader has a smoother and rounder taste to me. If they were liquor, Skiff would be Rye Whiskey while Squadron Leader is Bourbon.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
I like both. Skiff is a bit more bitter to me, but some orientals give me a bitter note. This is not a bad thing as I am an IPA fiend. Squadron Leader has a smoother and rounder taste to me. If they were liquor, Skiff would be Rye Whiskey while Squadron Leader is Bourbon.
This is a good description of Skiff to me. I understand why orientals are equated to an incense type taste/note but there is also a bit of sour, like buttermilk which I like. If I could change Skiff, it would be to amplify what is already going on, turning weakness into a stronger existing taste.

The last half is better than the first…much like Bobs Chocolate Flake. It takes a while to get the car warmed up, “but when it do….watch out!”

Love the rye and bourbon comparison Arch. Wonder what alcohol Commonwealth Mixture becomes?

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Never tried Squadron Leader, however I have quite a bit of Skiff on hand. I should try it out again soon and report back. Definately enjoyed it years back.