PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
This year over Spring break I decided to take a trip out to Colorado to visit my parents and hang out for a week. I live in Duluth MN so on my way down to the cities I decided to stop into Golden Leaf Tobacco Shop and check it out. This place is a very cool smoking lounge. They had a few tins on display and quite a few jars that you could sample their blends from. They also have quite a few estates that are very reasonably priced. As I was looking through all of the estates I spotted a nice looking smooth pipe with a perfect bend. The size of the bowl was also perfect. The price tag said 110$ and after looking closer I could tell it was a Dunhill. I was a bit thrown off since I had never seen one for under 200$ (excluding Ebay). I convinced myself to wait knowing that I would be going to Edwards out in Colorado so I told the owner that I would be coming back through in a week and if it was still there I would buy it. Now today I stopped into Edwards and started looking through some of the Peterson's but they were all a bit more expensive that what I had in mind on spending for a Pete. I continued to look through the displays and found an awesome Black Sandblasted Stanwell Feather Weight poker. I thought it over on whether I would want to spend the extra few bucks to get the dunhill or to go with a pipe that was cheaper and my favorite style. I decided to go with the Stanwell and the owner took it back to get it polished up. I was pretty excited about my choice, but when the owner came back he explained to me that he broke the pipe while polishing it. I think he could tell that I was a bit disappointed and he took me over to the estates. He picked out two Dunhills that were again the perfect size and told me he felt bad that he broke the pipe I wanted so he would give me a good deal on one. Needless to say, I took the offer. Sorry if it was a little long winded. And of course Pics.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There ya go! All things worked out for the best. If my company pays a bonus this year I'm going to climb out of the gutter and by me something nice like that for a change =)

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I hope you enjoy it for many more spring breaks and years beyond that after your graduation.
I have heard that broken pipe story before also. I bought a new pipe from a guy on Ebay and paid for it. The auction ended at a strange time and I think my bid was the only one. I then got an email telling me the pipe got broken when the guy was going downstairs to get packing supplies. I received a full refund. About a week later I saw what I thought was the same pipe being listed by the same seller. I sent him an email and was told it was a duplicate. I think the seller was lying but since I got a full refund there was nothing more I could do.
If you get a chance to return to the shop where the pipe was broken it would be interesting to see if you saw the original pipe.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Nice new pipe. Iit should be a good smoker! And nice travel story that had a happy ending with some drama mixed in!

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
That's one classy pipe, congratulations. I really like Edward's in Denver, they take good care of their customers.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
Thanks guys I think I figured out that it is either 1968 or 1958 either way it's a good smoke!

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
I find it refreshing that you not only spent your Spring Break with your parents (instead of puking on a beach with some random drunk tramp, like many students do), but you scored such a beautiful pipe to add to your collection.
Kudos on all counts, and have a safe trip back. 8)

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
I'm wondering what's wrong with random drunken tramps? :nana:

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Not to go too Eastern on you but every moment is an opportunity to have something good happen. I'm a glass is mostly full kind of guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.