Speaking of Penzance.....Is $55 For The 8 Ounce Bag Too Much?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
That order was $640.49 for 141 ounces. No shipping or taxes. $4.54 per ounce or $7.99 per 50 grams.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
If a B&M near me had it on the shelf, then heck yeah I'd pay the $55 per bag...wouldn't even blink! Where abouts is this shop?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
One ounce is about 28 grams. Breaking it down, 3 grams is considered to be the amount of tobacco used for an average pipe full of tobacco. So, that's about 9 pipe fulls. Using the cigar conversion chart ( :wink:), that's like 9 cigars purchased at the price of $6.11 per stick.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
No, but i've seen it go for a hell of a lot more. I paid $22.95 last year for my bag of Stoney and Penz. Before that, i don't think i've paid more than $35 or so. I'll beat the dead horse and say that while i do like both blends (Stoney far more than Penz), both are not worth the frenzy or drasticly high prices that some are charging, Penz especially as IMO it is a middle of the road blend at best with MANY alternatives being readily available. To each their own, but i'll continue to watch and laugh at the insanely inflated prices people pay for mediocrity.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
To each their own, but i'll continue to watch and laugh at the insanely inflated prices people pay for mediocrity.-layinpipe
Now, now, layinpipe. Remember the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
I happen to love Royal Yacht (Murray's version), and will pay a pretty penny for a tin whenever I can find one. Lot's of folks are not especially fond of that particular Dunhill offering and wouldn't pay a penny for a tin. And yes, I am insane... and come to think of it, pretty mediocre, too. :wink:
Pipestud

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The price is high from a tobacconist, he is definitely gouging. Now if 55 means nothing to you then of course have at it. If principal means something to you, and you do not want to encourage gouging, then tell your tobacconist, that 40 is a fair price and if he does not sell it to you for that, you will burn his store down. lol

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Now, now, layinpipe. Remember the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure."
I happen to love Royal Yacht (Murray's version), and will pay a pretty penny for a tin whenever I can find one. Lot's of folks are not especially fond of that particular Dunhill offering and wouldn't pay a penny for a tin. And yes, I am insane... and come to think of it, pretty mediocre, too. :wink:
Pipestud
Lol, Steve I was referring to blends still in production presently, not aged tins or blends no longer in production or at least in production by a different company. I most certainly understand the concept of supply and demand. I do not care what people spend their money on whatsoever, but i do, in my opinion, think they are insane for paying these inflated prices and indirectly helping to support and promote scalpers/price gougers.
Another example that comes to mind is in the car sales industry. I am a big fan of both classic and modern muscle cars and making them go fast. The Dodge Challenger/Charger Hellcat came out this year (2015 model), which is Dodge's top hp and tq producing muscle car (and naturally the most expensive). It was highly anticipated and talked about before it even hit the dealerships and was offered for sale. Well, Dodge couldn't keep up with the supply that was being demanded by the customers and orders fell behind, wayyyy behind. The MSRP on a Hellcat is roughly ~$62-64k and dealers have been marking them up to as high as the mid $90 thousand price range. Now i know this happens regularly with rarer in demand production cars, but a $20k markup is just insane. Is it illegal? No. Do they have the right to do this? Absolutely. Do i have to agree with it and support it by buying a car (any car) from that dealership? Absolutely not. I don't and i won't and i would never give my business to such a dealership. Again, it is subjective and just one person's opinion, but when one person turns into a large portion of the market, which it can, the seller has to rethink their business practices and at least consider bringing the price down out of the stratosphere. Sometimes it works this way, sometimes it doesn't, but i for one will not be a direct or indirect supporter of this practice by purchasing the product at an astronomical inflated price.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014

I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Two 8 ounce bags and one 2 ounce tin (just because I've never bought one of the tins before).
And while I was at it they had a Christmas Cheer 2014 so I picked it up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.