PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Does anyone know anything about Seattle Pipe Clubs Virginia Jazz Signature Series blend?

The only thing Ive been able to find is the little description on tobaccopipes.com website. Virginia perique crumble cake with 10 year old Virginias and Acadian perique.

Bullmoose

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
Cincinnati, Ohio
My tin came today and I’m puffing a bowl of this right now. I must admit so far, I’m underwhelmed. I keep waiting for it to open up and show some complexity, but it’s simply not. The Perique, to my taste, is very subdued. Nicotine level, to my body, is minimal at best. As with most SPC blends in my experience, it comes a little too moist and needs some drying.

I’ll keep going through this tin, but first impressions, meh.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Do you smoke a certain amount before reviewing? I thought I remember u saying something about that once.
I have no set amount. Sometimes, it takes many bowls in different pipes. Sometimes, I can do it in one or two or three bowls. It all depends on the complexity of the blend, whether or not a topping/several toppings/casings are difficult to ascertain, if several different kinds of Orientals, or Virginias, etc, are present. A variety of Orientals in particular can be difficult. I start writing notes with the first bowl, and constantly edit and rewrite until I have it figured out as well as I'm going to.

A few of the hardest ones to figure out: HH Rustica, War Horse Bar, War Horse Green, Sutliff Walnut Match.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have no set amount. Sometimes, it takes many bowls in different pipes. Sometimes, I can do it in one or two or three bowls. It all depends on the complexity of the blend, whether or not a topping/several toppings/casings are difficult to ascertain, if several different kinds of Orientals, or Virginias, etc, are present. A variety of Orientals in particular can be difficult. I start writing notes with the first bowl, and constantly edit and rewrite until I have it figured out as well as I'm going to.

A few of the hardest ones to figure out: HH Rustica, War Horse Bar, War Horse Green, Sutliff Walnut Match.
Do you write notes on paper? Or digital?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Do you write notes on paper? Or digital?
My notes that I started doing back in 2000 were written on paper. They weren't formal reviews. They were just notes about the kind of varietals in the mix and their flavors, plus the cut of the tobacco and the strength of the blends. I never dreamed that one day I would turn them into reviews. I did it so I would remember the blends I sampled at my local B&M to help me decide what I would buy and what I would not buy in the future. When I started posting reviews at TR in 2012, I was using rtf files on my laptop.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My notes that I started doing back in 2000 were written on paper. They weren't formal reviews. They were just notes about the kind of varietals in the mix and their flavors, plus the cut of the tobacco and the strength of the blends. I never dreamed that one day I would turn them into reviews. I did it so I would remember the blends I sampled at my local B&M to help me decide what I would buy and what I would not buy in the future. When I started posting reviews at TR in 2012, I was using rtf files on my laptop.
That notebook could be worth money in the future! Hahaha

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Did this drop at smokingpipes already and sell out? Or is it going on sale soon?
Don’t fret. I suspect more will be available soon just like with Hogshead and Give Me Liberty or whatever it’s called. I could walk into my local shop and buy both right now.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Just smoked one bowl in a small radice rind liverpool. Opened the the tin and was flooded by very nice stone fruit with good vinegar notes as well. Broke apart a couple of flakes, left the tin open for an hour or so and then closed it. Opening the tin led to realtively strong silage notes but not as strong as Anthology. Pipe loaded easily and required three lights to really get going. Smoke was both sweet and softly sour. I love good virginias and like Perique in small doses. The sour in this blend was not too much and dissipated through the bowl. It will not replace my love for straight virginias like Hogshead but was very enjoyable, 3.5 stars. Look forward to reading other thoughts.
P.S. thanks for all your kind words. Crabby Abbey is hanging in there as am I ...barely

Bullmoose

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just finished my third bowl and my enthusiasm for the blend hasn’t waned one bit. I think ol’ Joe hit it out of the park with this one. I too am interested what others think.

I'm working through the tin and I'm struggling to gather my enthusiasm for this one. This has to be the mildest, mellow VaPer I've ever smoked. The tin note is amazing, exactly what I'd expect. On first light there's moments of hope where I think "oh wow this is going to be good," and then.... tick...tock...tick...tock. No complexity at all to this one, just a sweet, mild, tangy, and slightly sour VaPer with the "Per" hidden behind a curtain peeking its head out maybe twice during the act. I think this would be a very good introduction to VaPers for someone who is not familiar with them, but not my cup of tea. I prefer more bold complex VaPers and this isn't one of them in my book. But I'll keep chipping away at the tin and see if my opinion improves.

JimRoseLV

Can't Leave
Apr 22, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
I'm working through the tin and I'm struggling to gather my enthusiasm for this one. This has to be the mildest, mellow VaPer I've ever smoked. The tin note is amazing, exactly what I'd expect. On first light there's moments of hope where I think "oh wow this is going to be good," and then.... tick...tock...tick...tock. No complexity at all to this one, just a sweet, mild, tangy, and slightly sour VaPer with the "Per" hidden behind a curtain peeking its head out maybe twice during the act. I think this would be a very good introduction to VaPers for someone who is not familiar with them, but not my cup of tea. I prefer more bold complex VaPers and this isn't one of them in my book. But I'll keep chipping away at the tin and see if my opinion improves.
Your points are valid. My palate is still in training and this blend is definitely more sweet than spicy.

Reactions: yanoJL