PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I never tried plum pudding but I think I know what you mean with the "coating" feeling. I get that from Syrian Latakia. I enjoyed Wilderness and the older GLP Syrian blends...but they seem to Shellac my mouth! Very odd...must be a chemistry thing.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
A film coating is a sensation I associate with Cavandish, Propolyne Glycol and an accelerant in the new formulation of green tip matches (last few months). I don’t have any experience with any SPC blends unfortunately. Cavendish is the usual culprit in my case and is something I’ve learned to roll with as some blends I really dig use it to good effect, like watch city 558.
I wonder, OP, if you’ve experienced something similar in another blend?

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Plum Pudding and SR are straight-up Balkans. So not at all like Mississippi River.

Balkans can be very dry to the taste (as well as smokey) and maybe that's the filminess (ala Boston's comment)?!

jamiept

Lurker
Aug 5, 2018
I just got some from smoking pipes and I like it. I may even order some more to cellar away.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I’ve got a pretty good stack of Mississippi River and Plum Puddding, regular & special reserve, put away in the cellar. It should have about three years on it now. I remember it being a rather pleasant smoke but now I need to crack a tin for a revisit.

Jul 4, 2018
I smoked my first bowl of Plum Pudding tonight and thought it was absolutely terrible. The tin note was like a HS locker room and the flavor was overwhelming and something in it tasted like plastic. On top of it all, it gave me a headache. BUT, I am obviously in the minority as PP is a huge success. So, I'm learning that just because everybody else likes it, doesn't mean I will.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
So, I'm learning that just because everybody else likes it, doesn't mean I will.
Yeah well, you're not alone. I don't care for it either (Special Reserve). Like taking a bite out of a bar of soap. Maybe a year or twenty in a jar will change things.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Haven't had Plum Pudding or Mississippi River for a couple of years, but I like them both well enough to stock up on them. They, along with Maltese Falcon, Lagonda, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, and Frog Morton on the Town (RIP), constitute my favorites when I wanted to break from Westminster and MM965. Together, these make up well over half of my cellar.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
"Haven't had Plum Pudding or Mississippi River for a couple of years, but I like them both well enough to stock up on them. They, along with Maltese Falcon, Lagonda, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, and Frog Morton on the Town (RIP), constitute my favorites when I wanted to break from Westminster and MM965. Together, these make up well over half of my cellar."
@ Checotah
I think we are pretty much spirit animals as these are all of my favorites. If you haven't tried Samarra by GL Pease, try some of that. I wish I could smoke English/Balkan's more but the heat in central Texas dictates I smoke more Virginias/VaPers

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
@jmsmitty6,

I'll have to give that a try. As you can tell, Greg's blends constitute a large part of my preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.