PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
They're filling it with fuel now, will they launch through cloud-cover?
From what I understand, clouds aren't a big deal for this craft because it is so fully automated. That said, the electricity in the air is the problem now because they can't load their LOX with this much static in the air.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Watching NASA Youtube channel now. How exciting. I didn't know till today this was happening. How much press did it get? I kinda live under a rock, though.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
stokesdale, high marks for optimism. At least we can land on Mars. Some of the planets seem to be too toxic in terms of atmosphere. I like the theoretical "worm holes" in space that could facilitate getting to the garden spots outside our solar system without spending lifetimes. Maybe the travelers could all amass doctorates as they streak into the universe, to make up for the lack of physical space. May most of the surprises be good.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
How bad must the astronauts feel right now. I feel sorry for them. Especially if it actually does clear up in 15 mins.
I agree, but NASA has some strict launch rules apparently. I think if it was up to Elon and the astronauts only, they would have waited a few minutes until it clears and launched. Looking at the Cape Canaveral radar on Weather.com, there is a clear area moving in.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
stokesdale, high marks for optimism. At least we can land on Mars. Some of the planets seem to be too toxic in terms of atmosphere. I like the theoretical "worm holes" in space that could facilitate getting to the garden spots outside our solar system without spending lifetimes. Maybe the travelers could all amass doctorates as they streak into the universe, to make up for the lack of physical space. May most of the surprises be good.
The last thing we need are more PhDs rotf

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe video game tournaments. Weight lifting won't work, since they're weightless, but maybe some kind of gym gear for weightlessness. Folks could get bored! Virtual tennis, golf, b-ball?

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Maybe video game tournaments. Weight lifting won't work, since they're weightless, but maybe some kind of gym gear for weightlessness. Folks could get bored!
There was a movie a long time ago called Flesh Gordon...yes, Flesh, not Flash--it was shown mostly at drive in theaters. The entire flight in a space ship was used for massive orgies on the way to the next planet...that's always an option as well rotf

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Maybe video game tournaments. Weight lifting won't work, since they're weightless, but maybe some kind of gym gear for weightlessness. Folks could get bored! Virtual tennis, golf, b-ball?
Interestingly, through experimentation on the ISS, they’ve found they need quite a strenuous routine every single day of resistance exercises to keep their bone mass from deteriorating quickly in zero g. So there will definitely be a gym, just a custom one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, weightlessness is like a chronic disease, since we are evolved to Iive in gravity, and there are other systemic problems, but I think the space station and a lot of research has come up with some sustaining regimes that help. The Flesh Gordon thing -- that might work! Lots of volunteers for that flight.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Was listening to the launch feed in the background while working and found the discussions about the commercialization of space and the science that can only be done in space or done far more effectively there interesting. I do hope that they have a favourable launch window Saturday. Today’s broadcast made me recall the Apollo 11 launch. This launch when it happens may not be the same moment in history but it will be another one where I will remember where I was.

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland

I wondered if resistance bands would work in space.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
You've reminded me of a Sci-Fi short story some ages ago, where the first manned mission to Mars had the entire crew of the ship chosen from all the candidates by computer. The ship launched on its low-fuel course with one man aboard, and a whole bunch of women. When it came time to make Mars orbit, every woman aboard was pregnant.

Sorry I don't remember either title or author.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
NASA may end up on a short leash until the economy comes back. As my native state Senator Everette Dirksen used to say, to adapt and paraphrase, a trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon it adds up to some real money.

Status
Not open for further replies.