PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Just read about today's earthquake.

Hope all of our California pipe smoking members are okay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It was about midway between Bakersfield and Vegas, so sparsely populated. Nothing much felt to the North- and I am on the Central Coast, where there was no effect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable' posted on this on the Dunhill blends thread, as it was happening. He probably wanted to get out of his house until it stopped. He will likely give us more information when things settle down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So far reports are some serious property damage, some house fires from escaping gas, some fissures in roads, but no life threatening injuries, which with much glass broken and upheaval in stores and homes, is wonderful. So far, so good. Hope there are no strong aftershocks or later reports. Patients were evacuated from a hospital, but that seems to have been precautionary.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Similar to places like Japan and Chile, the danger of quakes has been mitigated through building codes and retrofitting here in California. Of course, damages and casualties still occur, but things are far better than they could be. Hopefully, I'm not minimizing those affected today, as that's not my intent.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I quite enjoyed it. When it hit, I wasn't exactly dressed to go out, so I signed off, put on some pants, selected a pipe and tobacco, and went for a walk. I wasn't sure if this one was a precursor to something stronger, but I was damned if I was going to have to go through yet another quake without a smoke.
I was initially relieved to learn that the quake was sizable though far away in the Mohave, since that made another shaker less of an immediate concern. I was sorry to hear about the community that got hit pretty badly and I hope that those who lost their homes will be made whole.
According to the seismologists at Cal Tech, there's a pretty good chance that we will get hit with a strong aftershock in the next week or so.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A precursor to The Big One is everybody's worry...
If you're looking for an excuse to vacate the SoCal coast, Jesse, come to KC and bring some pipes. We'll have a grand time. :D

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
It was horrible - worst thing you could experience. Every few minutes someone called from back east and woke me up from my nap.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's the right tobacco to smoke during an earthquake, Rumble Kake?
Depends on if the building your in was properly retrofitted. If it wasn't, crumble cake will do.
If I didn't have friends and family living out there I'd say good riddance to the place.
Given that you don't know the difference between there, they're and their, I'm impressed that you know a two syllable word like riddance and could actually spell it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Uh-oh. I'm in trouble if we're going to start proofreading. Usually I do, but not always. I edit posts fairly often to fix 'em. I was once congratulated by a boss for knowing its from it's, but when in a hurry, there's no telling. sable', glad you made it through without further mishap. Even a little quake is ominous.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just got called on my remark in a PM. It was pointed out to me that Host had used the word "there" correctly in the quotation. So I guess every once in a while Host can use there, they're, or their, correctly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have to bite my tongue or slap my hand when it comes to grammar. I catch almost every error, and many of my own. Favorite is the addition of an apostrophe where it's not needed, and thus incorrect. The dog wagged it's tail. Tobacco's. And on and on it goe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.