Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview tonight is with pipe maker Charl Goussard of Cape Town, South Africa. Charl has been making pipes since 2009. He makes several gorgeous standard shapes, and a few freehands as well. In "Pipe Parts", Brian will give a detailed recap of the West Coast Pipe Show, which took place in Las Vegas this past weekend.
charl-goussard.jpg

Charl Goussard

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for bringing us this interview with Mr. Goussard. I hadn't heard of him until the radio show, and it is always nice to learn about a new carver.
Brian, I appreciated your piece on the West Coast Pipe Show. When I think about travelling to future shows I am trying to determine whether I branch out and attend the Vegas show, or even the newly minted New Orleans show, with my wife. Or whether I stick to attending the Chicago show and treat the weekend as a guy's get-away weekend. Hearing that there were good pipe-deals on offer in Vegas, coupled with the fact that I think Las Vegas would offer more distraction/entertainment for my wife than Chicago would, makes the West Coast show a real possibility.
Mind you, Chicago is the closest thing pipe folk have to a holy city... and having been, that show would be hard to miss. Oh the dilemma! Yeah, yeah, life should be so hard.
Thanks for another good show. I hope you're enjoying your morning commute and settling in to a routine.
Cheers,
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pardon the double post... but I forgot to add this before my ability to edit the post elapsed.
Brian, I thought you might enjoy the original version of "Life Is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane. It was released in 1991 in Canada and was a #1 hit in Canada and made it to #6 in the US, with a #18 spot on the Year End charts in 1992. I like it better than the New Country version you played this week... something about the Rascal Flatts version just rubs me the wrong way, it feels flat and a little vanilla to me compared to the original. Anyway, I digress, may I please present to you, "Life Is a Highway":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3sMjm9Eloo
-- Pat

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've yet to listen to the interview or the entirety of Pruss's video and feel compelled to write this comment.

It's about Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Toyota.

Seems like we all want to love our old American cars, and we do love them, but it's really an unconditional love based upon the Stockholm syndrome.

Our vaunted free market capitalism went overseas with Toyota, GE, and the garment industry, leaving us scratching our asses with foreign made shower puffs.

It turns out that subsidizing designed obsolescence wasn't such a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.