24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
8 Fresh Randy Wiley Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 7, 2024
Hello everyone! I am a new poster here. I recently purchased a very clean looking estate pipe, but it has a very nasty smell. The only way I can describe it is like mothballs and latakia, but I dont think that's actually the cause. I've tried alcohol and salt, it helped a bit but not enough. Scrubbing vigorously with pipe cleaners and alcohol. Now I am trying to pack it with damp coffee grounds. If this doesnt work I am not sure what to do. Anyone have suggestions? A pipe restorer said that a retort might work, but that involves beakers and tubes and clamps. I dont have a chemistry lab and not really looking to buy all that stuff.
Edit: I meant to add that there is no cake at all and the smell is even in the stem, though not as bad as the briar.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
If I have one as “clean” as I think it can be and still something there that bugs me I’ll just do a judicious sanding down to the briar and go from there. Or counter ghost and run a bunch of Grousemoor through it, lol (but I like Grousemoor!).

Reactions: MillenialCodger

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Sometimes you just need to smoke the hell out of it. Even with old estates both briar and meerschaum that are new old stock and unsmoked I find that until the pipe is ‘broken in’ that it has what is to me an antique store smell and taste while smoking. It is an off putting smell/taste that wafts in and out of the smoking experience until the fresh carbon and tars and oils saturate the pipe again. I would say try smoking it until it goes away, especially if it is as clean as you say.

Sep 7, 2024
Sometimes you just need to smoke the hell out of it. Even with old estates both briar and meerschaum that are new old stock and unsmoked I find that until the pipe is ‘broken in’ that it has what is to me an antique store smell and taste while smoking. It is an off putting smell/taste that wafts in and out of the smoking experience until the fresh carbon and tars and oils saturate the pipe again. I would say try smoking it until it goes away, especially if it is as clean as you say.
Yeah I considered this. Tried one bowl and it was really tough to get through lol. Might be my only option. At least the odor isnt quite as bad now. But the odor stuck to my moustache making it much worse lol.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2024
If I have one as “clean” as I think it can be and still something there that bugs me I’ll just do a judicious sanding down to the briar and go from there. Or counter ghost and run a bunch of Grousemoor through it, lol (but I like Grousemoor!).
I hope it doesnt come to this. The bowl walls are very thin so I'd be worried to sand it.

Sep 7, 2024
Quick update for anyone interested (not sure why you would be): the coffee grounds definitely helped, though it's certainly still there. I think its tolerable enough to at least try to smoke it a bit to see if that helps. Thankfully I chose a good seller on ebay and they have no problem doing a return. Hopefully I can avoid the hassle. Anyway, thanks to all of you guys for the helpful advice! Happy smoking!

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Make sure that the mortise is absolutely spotless. Most evil stinks originate in the mortise.
^^^^^. This

It takes much, much more time and effort to clean out the shanks and mortises of my estates than the bowls.

Inspect the shank & mortise with a strong light.
If the shank/mortise is full of :poop:, I use small jewellers screwdrivers and shank brushes to ream out all the muck.
Get down to bare wood, as much as is possible. Without damaging the airways

Then lots and lots of alcohol-soaked cleaners. Leave them in overnight If necessary.
And repeat ad nauseam until they come out clean

Your palate will appreciate the time and effort spent

dingdong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
Quick update for anyone interested (not sure why you would be): the coffee grounds definitely helped, though it's certainly still there. I think its tolerable enough to at least try to smoke it a bit to see if that helps. Thankfully I chose a good seller on ebay and they have no problem doing a return. Hopefully I can avoid the hassle. Anyway, thanks to all of you guys for the helpful advice! Happy smoking!
When i do coffee grounds method, i kept the coffee wet (not just damp) as i flood the top of the bowl with water, then let it dried for 1-2 days. then wash/rinse with warm water. Most of the time it works. puffy puffy puffy
Thin walled bowls has a lot less wood so whatever ghosts is saturating the wood pores would have been there a long time.

Reactions: MillenialCodger

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Find the biggest cathedral in town. You'll find the holy water at the entrance..

Take the pipe apart. Clean the mortise and tenon. Check the chamber for cake. If thick, take it down to wood, but don't ream into the wood. Use pipe brush to clean the draught and stem. Try coffee grind again.

By the way, do it at home. Not at the cathedral. People might look at you funny.

Sep 7, 2024
Find the biggest cathedral in town. You'll find the holy water at the entrance..

Take the pipe apart. Clean the mortise and tenon. Check the chamber for cake. If thick, take it down to wood, but don't ream into the wood. Use pipe brush to clean the draught and stem. Try coffee grind again.

By the way, do it at home. Not at the cathedral. People might look at you funny.
LOL it might be the only thing to exorcise this unholy funk.