PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Internet is really slow where I am, so I'll have to let it load when I'm not hopping around on forums. :P I don't know if it's covered, but how long does it usually take for it to oxidize?

Jul 15, 2011
How long does it take a stem to oxidize? Depends on a lot of factors. Leaving a pipe out in the sun will cause it to oxidize quicker than anything. Some stems can start oxidizing in a matter of months, others can take years. The Obsidian oil listed in the article is an optional step, but once you get all the oxidation out it will go a long way to keep if from coming back.

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
once again to all thank you a lil sandpaper and 151 did the trick. i see now how oxidation can be one sour note. lesson learned.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Like most things, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Vaboatbuilder, you should look into getting some obsidian stem oil to keep the vulcanite bit in good condition. I've heard of people using olive oil and other substances, so if you want a cheaper alternative then you can do a bit of homework on that too.
Also, like Pipenovelist said, keep it out of the sun and that'll be another preventative step to keep your stem looking and tasting good...
(Again I don't know much about restoration; that's about the extent of my expertise.)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Roth, I can't see these overproof and/or grain alcohols being too pricey in the United States, but in other places they are taxed to the hilt to limit consumption.
That's why I used the regular 40% spirits, though they are not ideal. Still, they evaporate fast enough for my purposes.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I use vodka as a rule, but I have occasionally dabbled with the others.
It does add a very fleeting flavour, but its not much to talk about. After the first part of one bowl, it's gone.
The only downside, perhaps, is that some of the spirits will impart some residual sugars. Dark rum, for one.
Still, it's way milder than using Malibu or something else. I wouldn't consider it a problem.
+1 on the consumable alcohol. I just don't like using pipe solutions or rubbing alcohol or anything of that nature...

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
im going to pick up the obsidian, and probably the stem cleaning kit because i have a few with same problem. its funny they are all kaywoodys.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Just clean it with a pipe cleaner and give it a long rest for a couple of weeks. I try not to smoke any pipe more than once per day. I rotate through a lot of pipes (about 30) and the rewards are worth it!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.