PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
my kaywoody is giving an off tast. its sour like bitting an orange peal. are there any ideas how to fix.

8276442344_e22b6fecb7.jpg

vaboatbuilder

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 7, 2012
all of this has been done, this was the firs bowel after cleaning. first thing i did after getting home was to clean the stem again. stem still has a bitter taste. I clean with 151 and use Malibu on stem inside and out in between bowels.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If you're cleaning out your "bowels" with 151 and Malibu, you've got bigger problems.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Substitute 151 for the Malibu.
As Roth notes, Malibu is not a good solution for pipes.
It is full of sugar and artificial flavouring, not to mention that it is only 20% alcohol.
Rum, whiskey, brandy, or vodka would be better for your purposes.
(Overproof or grain alcohols are better, but the others will do the job; as it happens, your 151 is perfect)
Other than that, are you resting your pipe regularly?
As well, what material is that stem? (I'm not familiar with Kaywoodies) It's looking a little splotchy - do you think that that might be a factor in the off tastes you're getting? Perhaps it needs a more intensive cleaning...

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I use rubbing alochol mate on my pipes and only that. Once in a long while I will dip a pipe cleaner in Brandy and run it tru the stem but not very often. It looks to me as tho that stem is oxidizing up pretty good and that may account for much of the yucky taste ur getting. If that Kwoodie has a stinger in it, remove it before cleaning it because gunk will accumulate there as well.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Yeah I didn't know if that was oxidation or what. I can see it's discoloured.
Fix that and give up the Malibu and see how it tastes afterwards...

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It sounds to me like you smoked a bowl of Stanwell Melange in it.

If you did then you have to clean it very well and smoke something else in it several times to evict the Ghost of Melange past.
But, +1 on what everyone has been suggesting.

:puffy:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
There are various methods involving soaking, sanding, and buffing but I will leave the explanation to others who are better versed in pipe restoration.
There are also oils you can apply as a preventative measure, but that won't help vaboatbuilder until after he's cleaned off the oxidation from his stem. (If that's what it actually is)

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I can't buy Everclear at the liquor store closest to where I live, I'd have to go into Montana to get it. I was wondering if 80 proof tequila would do the trick? I bought some last night to cook with, and I'll have some left over. I don't drink tequila, so if I could use it for cleaning my pipes that would be great.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Hmm, I'll save the tequila for the chicken then, Hehe :D. I think I'm with you on this one, I'd rather use alcohol you can drink for a pipe. Do you get any of the flavor when you light up?

Jul 15, 2011
Someone posted a great article here on how to clean a rubber (vulcanite) stem without a buffer, but I can't find it ATM
The man in question is a fine gent and an upstanding moral beacon of humanity.
He also cooks a mean cheeseburger :wink:
This method is almost foolproof with even the nastiest stems if you are willing to put in a little elbow grease. The Now (Almost) World Famous Pipe Novelist Stem Restoration Method.

Jul 15, 2011
Ive got two stems waiting for a redo with the old Pipe Novelist method. Im thinking of doing a second edition because I have a stem sitting around that was black when it was first made and is now a nice combination of Brussel sprouts and baby barf. If I can make that stem shine I can do anything. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.