PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Is there anyone here who is getting into this whole sour beer (wild fermentation) movement? Personally, and am absolutely loving the genre. It all started last year, for me, when my friend from South Florida (cicerone and sommelier by trade) introduced me. Now, I cannot get enough.
Anyone else caught up in this amazing traditional Belgian Beer style?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
My personal preference leans toward the IPA style of local craft beers; both normally carbonated and nitro injected.
The 47 brand tap room down the street from me is getting in more and more Belgian local brews, of which I have yet to sample. I will have a go next time I stop in.
The other trend here in the suburbs of Portland Oregon, is fruit infused beers: raspberry, apricot, and blood orange just to name a few. I detest this trend and see it as a cheap way to "create" a " totally new square" but with round corners. I can't see how a glug of Kirkland fruit syrup in a barrel of a good IPA enhances anything; but then again...hipsters (shrug).

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Zekest, Portland is the mecca of the Craft Beer world it seems. We actually get quite a few offerings from Portland up here in Calgary Canada.
As for fruit infused beer, they are hit or miss with me. I find the majority of them are not all that impressive, but I have been very happy with the odd one. In fact, last night I was enjoying a Peach - Apricot Berliner Weisse from Wild Rose that was amazing. The fruit came through in the aroma, but the flavor was all beer with a nice tart finish.
When it comes to IPA's, I tend to lean more toward the more floral offerings from the hops as opposed to the punch you in the face bitter hops. Nonetheless, a solid IPA is hard to beat!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
This is the golden age of sour beer in america.I love it but I don't like buying it, so I make my own. There's a staggering amount of new development in bacteria cultivation and it's all available to the individual brewer. Over the weekend I picked a load of sour cherries that I plan to add to lambic base that I've aged for 2 beers. Should be an awesome kriek in a few months.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
This is the golden age of sour beer in america.I love it but I don't like buying it
I hear you there. Buying the sour beers can be an expensive endeavor! Especially when my government charges something like 100% taxes. At $15 to $40 per 750ml bottle, these beers are more of a treat then an all the time thing. However, I do understand why these beers are so expensive. Regular beer can be brewed and ready for sale in a matter of weeks or months. Wild fermented sour beers, on the other hand, can take years before they are ready for sale.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of sours, but my wife loves them. Living in Colorado is definitely a plus, as we're ground zero for a lot of home brewers turned craft brewers, and several of our favorite brewers have been experimenting with sours for a while now.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I love sour beers. They're a great palate cleanser from all the IPAs running around. Don't get me wrong, I love a good hoppy beer but there are flavors beyond hops too.
A personal favorite of mine in the sour rang has been from New Belgium. LE TERROIR from the their Lips of Faith series. It is dry hopped and sour. It brings out all the grapefruit sour characteristics of hops without any of the bitterness. La Folie from that same series is like the reference board of sour beers imho

Status
Not open for further replies.