PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
My wife makes her stock by throwing a chicken into an "Instant Pot." The chicken noodle soup she subsequently makes from that is one of those simple perfections that you look back on with gratitude that you live a very blessed life.

Other favorite soups that she makes include a Guinness & Beef stew, and some sort of potato chowder that has lots of bacon and cheese. Mm.

Since Fridays are meatless in our house, we often do grilled cheese and tomato soup then. But I admit that when it comes to tomato soup (and only tomato soup), I don't know that I like the homemade stuff much better than canned.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
Good crusty bread is soup's best friend.
Some of my favorite breads of the crusty variety are Pain Pugliese and Pain Rustique.
These aren't exactly common but if you have a good local bakery, they'll know what it is.
I think they'll bring any soup experience up notch or two.

What is your "go to" for crusty bread?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
An onion soup like you could get in Paris and n most of the bistros. Just onion slices browning in the pot, adding some water or better chicken or beef stock, simmer for a half an hour. Salt and black pepper to your liking. Then put it in bowls with a few dry pieces of baguette 🥖 put some cheese on top and put it in the oven.
Thomas Keller is my favorite chef. Everything I've made from his recipes (which I never have modified) has been excellent, but usually takes a lot of preparation (like 2 days for french toast).

He has an onion soup recipe in Bichon that I have not gotten around to trying. It takes 3 days, if I recall, and Keller insists on the proper soup vessel with specific dimensions and ratios of onions, broth, and cheese for the dish to be devine.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I had forgotten about French Onion! My wife does that just once or twice a year, but oh boy is that an evening to look forward to. Made with a mixture of sweet and standard onions, a splash of port, then gruyere broiled on top, and paired with a glass of port -- mwa! This needs to happen again soon.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I had forgotten about French Onion! My wife does that just once or twice a year, but oh boy is that an evening to look forward to. Made with a mixture of sweet and standard onions, a splash of port, then gruyere broiled on top, and paired with a glass of port -- mwa! This needs to happen again soon.

Yes we also do this one once or twice a year, yummi. Gruyère works the best!

Afterwards a bruyere works fine.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite is my mom's French onion soup. She always had the perfect crock pots for the oven. She loaded it with cheese and her secret tip was a dollop of Courvoisier in the bottom of the bowl and you poured the soup over it and then into the oven to the perfect golden brown. Mom is 88 and no longer cooks but she has all her recipes and I have tried making it although it was decent it was not mom's. I need to figure out where I went wrong.

My second favorite soup is Pea soup and I hate Peas with a passion. You couldn't pay me a grand to eat them. Somehow some way my mom got me to taste her pea soup and I was in love. My care giver makes a mean one too with ham hoc and everything. My mother made it with some type of meat and my care caver uses a ham hoc. Either way was great. I can actually make a very respectful chicken soup. I make the soup put all the meat back in broth and then make a side of rice or noodles, all depends on who wants what. I prefer the rice.
One thing I have never made and need to is Rhode Island Clear Chowder. It is not like the creamy clam chowder but a clear broth with celery potatoes and a huge amount of clams. It is the balls.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We’ll finish off the creamy potato and white bean soup I made Friday and homemade bread as well, if the bread makes it to this evening, lol. Planning a white pheasant chili for Thanksgiving Eve. Regular chili is a staple, roasted red pepper and navy bean and ham are close behind. Now this thread has me wanting French onion. 52C273C8-8E6C-4947-ABD4-FC2174B51E65.jpegB2DB77DA-FC27-424B-8856-6FE2AF61C51F.jpeg