SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 3, 2023
Gee thanks had no idea there might be some risk involved, now give me back my artwork! This will be going in a jar posthaste with the proper label. I can have knockoff sour patch kid weed gummies delivered to my house with no ID check in an extremely similar bright packaging to the real candy. Would I be worried about my kids grabbing a tin of pipe tobacco or bright coloured sugar-coated THC candy? All those teenagers hanging out behind the high school smoking their knockoff Petersons and cobs. This container is par for the course in a world of strip-malls, brutalist office buildings and crowded streets of gray people. Anyways not trying to break forum rules, but just think this is quite the juxtaposition between two products on offer in my area. Any ideas on repurposing these tins?

20230606_141759.jpg

Attachments

• 20230606_141806.jpg
    20230606_141806.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 18260452-7443041-image-a-17_1568055035140-1648965659.jpg
    18260452-7443041-image-a-17_1568055035140-1648965659.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 38
Jun 3, 2023
you can always make stickers and the like if you want. The soul has always been in the leaf by the way.
I do make stickers for my jars, but I just love the details and think the growers, blenders and everyone in between deserve to be able to put their hard-earned product into something beautiful or that at least looks good, a reflection of all the moving parts coming together.

wolfman9

Lurker
Aug 27, 2018
I mostly buy bulk, and then jar it myself, so this issue escapes me for the most part.
That said, I do find the whole warning label thing overdone, and your tins look worse than I remember.
Last time I bought a tin was some MacBarren’s Plumbcake, and it had the old style art.
If they’re worried about it appealing to kids, just stay with a antique aesthetic, something that would have been at home in Victorian Britain or something, not flashy, but still traditional and refined, the young won’t even bother looking Since it’s not neon and boasting some idiotic tik-tok “celebrity”.

Reactions: Reggie and Carol

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Gee thanks had no idea there might be some risk involved, now give me back my artwork! This will be going in a jar posthaste with the proper label. I can have knockoff sour patch kid weed gummies delivered to my house with no ID check in an extremely similar bright packaging to the real candy. Would I be worried about my kids grabbing a tin of pipe tobacco or bright coloured sugar-coated THC candy? All those teenagers hanging out behind the high school smoking their knockoff Petersons and cobs. This container is par for the course in a world of strip-malls, brutalist office buildings and crowded streets of gray people. Anyways not trying to break forum rules, but just think this is quite the juxtaposition between two products on offer in my area. Any ideas on repurposing these tins?

View attachment 226257
I agree. Even around here when I go to a “tobacco” store it looks like the Easter bunny exploded, bright packaging everywhere, pushing delta-8 gummies, flower, nicotine vapes and accessories. It’s ridiculous to walk into an adult store and feel like I’m in a cheap candy store/arcade dollar store. I wish they would drop the warnings and especially the plain packaging for our Northern brothers and sisters. No kids give a damn about tobacco anymore.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
In Europe they take up half the tins with warning labels on all tobacco. The cigarettes are 3/4 covered with a grotesque picture of cancer and malformations. Here is a picture of my tin I bought in Italy.

1686150206766.jpeg
1686150255380.jpeg
I apologize for the size of photo, I can’t figure out how to shrink it on my iPad.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm guessing most manufacturers enjoy skipping the expense of label design and printing, keeping it simple and cheap. My wife used to buy wine sometimes based simply on the label. I'm guessing there are maybe a handful of pipe smokers who factor in the label appeal when deciding to try or not. Different strokes I suppose.

Reactions: OverMountain

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I definitely think the warning labels are BS Government intervention. If you haven't heard/seen the warnings by now, you're living under a rock anyway!

Reactions: Reggie

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
In Europe they take up half the tins with warning labels on all tobacco. The cigarettes are 3/4 covered with a grotesque picture of cancer and malformations. Here is a picture of my tin I bought in Italy.

View attachment 226406
View attachment 226407
I apologize for the size of photo, I can’t figure out how to shrink it on my iPad.
It's insane how the EU forces every member nation to comply with this and other stuff. US states have more sovereignty than EU nations
The down side is that some manufacturers decided not to do plain packaging so we lost access to some products in tins at local B&Ms.
Part of the problem is that every country with such a policy has their own specifications for it, So a plain package in Australia won't be acceptable in Canada. In Ireland it's required that the warning text is in English and Irish, just in case any of the 5 people who only speak Irish are unaware smoking causes cancer.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I agree. Even around here when I go to a “tobacco” store it looks like the Easter bunny exploded, bright packaging everywhere, pushing delta-8 gummies, flower, nicotine vapes and accessories. It’s ridiculous to walk into an adult store and feel like I’m in a cheap candy store/arcade dollar store. I wish they would drop the warnings and especially the plain packaging for our Northern brothers and sisters. No kids give a damn about tobacco anymore.
The UK and France fortunately exempted cigars and pipe tobacco. Now some Irish people on the Republic side will drive over to the North side to get their cigars and pipe tobacco with proper branding.

Reactions: Reggie and MattRVA

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm guessing most manufacturers enjoy skipping the expense of label design and printing, keeping it simple and cheap. My wife used to buy wine sometimes based simply on the label. I'm guessing there are maybe a handful of pipe smokers who factor in the label appeal when deciding to try or not. Different strokes I suppose.
+1
For the record, I have never smoked the label off a tin of pipe tobacco. I'm more interested in what the components of the blend are and who makes it.