PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Damn, that would give me a stroke. I was so happy when they came out with sliders.
yeah they're a huge pain in the asp it's does have predictive typing but it's more like madlibs typing. Though I do like having a phone that if it falls off a clliff into a toilet and then into a running washing machine... well if all that happens I can get a new one for next to nothing. And I still have two years unlimited for under 200 bucks. But the best thing is it keeps me from getting in trouble online.

alwayslit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2018
DC/Tampa
I do a water flush after every smoke and it really clears out all the ash and any bits of tobacco. I then wipe it out well with a paper towel. I then clean the stem with a pipe cleaner dipped in 151 Everclear and then I flip the non-alcohol side of the cleaner to absorb any residual moisture in the pipe. It only takes a few minutes of work and is well worth the effort ....imho.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Aha! hence the saponification! Have you owned this pipe since it was new? If not, perhaps the original owner smoked a lakeland tobacco from it and with the water flush you cleaned everything out down to the lakeland ghost!
only one that's owned it. And it's one of those hints. The kind of hint that when you pick it out of some ones cooking, they're always like how did you know I put a pinch of cinnamon in that huge pot of chili. So not sure if it was there first, something in the water, something I smoked. Something in clean briar I never noticed before. ETC... But what fun is life without mysteries.
Though part of me wondered if it was a small reaction. Like fire place ash and water.

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
No thanks. I do water (hot) after a full alcohol retort of a tear-down, or when I don't care about the finish, which is rare, and only with estate restorations. Otherwise, you just can't tell what water will do to a finish. I used to do it more often, and found that some old estates have been mucked with a lot, and water can REALLY change the finish. I fully clean and/or restore every pipe I get right away (and stabilize the finish), then clean the interior with rum pipe cleaners after every smoke. It's been years since I've needed to do another "deep clean" on any of my pipes.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This is an excellent tool for flushing out many different varieties of pipes. Really gets rid of the assy ashy stank and residue:

E8CDD576-B1F7-4208-9130-8F4C75975BE5.jpeg

Reactions: dunnyboy
Mar 1, 2014
So the pipe started with a weird stank. Water flushed it and there was a very subtle back ground nastiness that was super faint. Almost a sorta soapy thing but not quite. Not saying it's from one thing or another. But more saying yeah it's seems fine and gives an almost neutral quality minus one tiny bit of something minor.
Might be worthwhile making a jug of diluted alcohol, just 10% ABV should be enough to keep it quite sanitary and probably eliminate most odors.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Might be worthwhile making a jug of diluted alcohol, just 10% ABV should be enough to keep it quite sanitary and probably eliminate most odors.
why whatever it is it's not noticeable now. To be honest I was more wondering if there might be more of a reaction going on when you water flush. More going on then just water mechanically washing away dirt. I have no idea how to test such a thing.

Reactions: dunnyboy