PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
I recently ordered a couple of lbs of tobacco from a certain online blender. When it arrived, I noticed that every one of the tobaccos were very damp. Wet cat damp. Beyond anything that I have seen before. Even after 36 hours out on my tray it was still quite soggy. Bear in mind, I live in a low humidity area. I also ordered from another shop at the same time and all their blends were fine. Im hoping that its merely water, but I have a creeping suspicion that there is other junk in there to keep the tobacco from molding, etc.

The two obvious reasons for this excessive moisture seem to me are:
1. To prevent a mixture from drying out.
2. The blender does his work in a high humidity area.
3. Water is cheaper than tobacco.

Although the tobacco is fragrant and as otherwise advertised, its not an experience that I wish to often repeat- as there are plenty of other blenders that I can order from. I wont be emailing the shop about my concerns- because they have been in business for decades and know their business. Their many other customers must be ok with that level of moisture, as the shop enjoys a popular reputation.

In the mean time, I have jarred it and cellared it with a notion that I can dry it, smoke it and enjoy life- as I go.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I’ve gotten some rum topped that was plenty juicy, but just a matter of drying to the right level before using. Wasn’t worried about it.

Now he just sends me a free bottle of fine Jamaican rum with a 16 oz order and the tobacco nice and dry - then I can combine them in whatever way I see fit. 😉

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I would think this was an odd thing to happen. I've never seen such a thing. I've gotten tobaccos from many online vendors and never had a moisture level that high. At that level of moisture the pipe would be damn near impossible to light,

Reactions: Steddy