PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yet the cost to the consumer of TV sets with UHD and a full set of smart applications is at an all time low figuring in inflation, set size and quality of picture (and sometimes, sound.)

Reactions: anotherbob

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Can the stuff you have that uses Scarts use the HDMI? And I assume it has a digital input thing (it's a wierd little square socket) which could take the stereo assuming that has the output.

The USB's will presumabley take the Firestick though.

EDIT: The audio thing is the Digital Audio Output. I looked up the model you think it is and it does have one,
Andriko, I believe both my HDD/DVD recorders (Panasonic & LG) have HMDI outputs, I don't think my SACD player (Marantz) has one but I'm pretty sure it has an optical out.

As for my AV amp, (Yamaha RXV1300) it has no HDMI but a plethora of other inputs/outputs.

I think I read somewhere that Scart to HDMI converters do exist.

A bit miffed the Bravia might only have 2 HDMI, folk have so many devices to plug into a TV these days I'd have thought at least 4 might be the way to go.

Thanks for you input chaps, much appreciated.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: kcghost and Andriko

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I looked up SCART, as I'd not heard of it before. Looks similar to the old SCSI connectors.

"Do TVs still have SCART?

The SCART has been replaced by HDMI which gives you better image quality when you connect them to HD devices. Tip: Newer TVs will usually have a SCART port but if there isn't one, you can buy a SCART to HDMI converter."

Last edited:
Reactions: mawnansmiff

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Andriko, I believe both my HDD/DVD recorders (Panasonic & LG) have HMDI outputs, I don't think my SACD player (Marantz) has one but I'm pretty sure it has an optical out.

As for my AV amp, (Yamaha RXV1300) it has no HDMI but a plethora of other inputs/outputs.

I think I read somewhere that Scart to HDMI converters do exist.

A bit miffed the Bravia might only have 2 HDMI, folk have so many devices to plug into a TV these days I'd have thought at least 4 might be the way to go.

Thanks for you input chaps, much appreciated.

Regards,

Jay.

The 2x HDMI port thing surprises me also!

As someone said above, maybe £20 for the transport is worth it. If it doesn't all connect you can always sell it anyway.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I believe your amp has six HDMI ports; can you not run your inputs through it? (And onto the TV)

I was going to point out how old that one is- over 20 years... but then realized I am surprised my Denon 1613 of a dozen years of age works as well as it does with 2021 equipment.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Sony makes a quality product overall, I haven't bought or even investigated into a new TV as my 11 year old Panasonic isn't broken yet so I don't see the need for a new one. But when I looked at TV's I found the Sony's always a bit on the red end of the color spectrum, even that red that it looked a bit artificial. The Panasonic TV I have now is a plasma tv, which has for me great colors and is pitch black when it has to be. To bad plasma technology is out of grace.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I believe your amp has six HDMI ports; can you not run your inputs through it? (And onto the TV)

I was going to point out how old that one is- over 20 years... but then realized I am surprised my Denon 1613 of a dozen years of age works as well as it does with 2021 equipment.
John, I made an error, my amp is a Yamaha RXV1400.

Here is the back panel.....please point out the HDMI ports to me as I can't find them ;)

av amp.jpg

The RXV1300 I mentioned earlier is pretty much the same though slightly less power.

Regards,

Jay.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
It does have digital outputs, and composite (which he TV has if the model listed above), so should fit. Definatley worth £20 to find out!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Sony Bravia is worth it. I inherited my Dads 60" which was bought in 2009 and it's still going strong. Most of the flat screens available these days usually last between 4-6 years.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It does have digital outputs, and composite (which he TV has if the model listed above), so should fit. Definatley worth £20 to find out!
Yes It has digital outputs but not HDMI as John says. I'm sure I could get adapters to enable HDMI to be cobbled into this amp.

I'm actually looking at buying a new amp, another Yamaha from their Aventage range that sports 7 HDMI ports!

Regards the Bravia TV, I reckon I'll take a punt on it for the cost of the courier.

Regards,

Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes It has digital outputs but not HDMI as John says. I'm sure I could get adapters to enable HDMI to be cobbled into this amp.
Jay, I regret I said it had HDMI ports, and cannot find where I read that. But read that I did in my search to find some help for your stated conundrum. I should have gone to the Yamaha manual as I did for the corrected model that you later posted.
I'm actually looking at buying a new amp, another Yamaha from their Aventage range that sports 7 HDMI ports!
Excellent move, one I hinted at when mentioning the age of the original Yamaha you posted about.

I'd love a new Denon, but can't justify it as my 1613 works just fine.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
No worries John, appreciate your input.

Regards Denon, I have a pair of lovely sounding Denon bookshelf speakers for my rear surround sound.

Regards their AV amps, for some reason there are always loads of Denon AV amps of pretty recent vintage for sale on eBay 'sold as faulty or sold for parts' which has put me off the brand.

I think I should be safe buying an Aventage 1080 or perhaps 2080 but in no rush in that regard, plenty of life left in my old RXV-1400.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Update: I decided to go for the TV because as was pointed out on here, the cost of having it couriered would make declining it a bit daft. I did by the way guess the model was KDL- 43WF663 as indeed it was, so a fair bit bigger (43") than my current Luxor at a mere 32".

It turns out Mother bought it in Dec 2019 (she died April 2021) so it's had minimal use. Plus it came with a 5 year warranty so it's covered for a while yet.

The TV is being picked up from Mother's house on Monday by a courier and will arrive here later next week.

Thanks to all who contributed to my query, and @Simong, the Parcel3Go tip payed off....£27:25 from Northants to Cornwall in 3/4 days....bloody bargain compared to my guess of £80-£100 :oops:

Regards,

Jay.