PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My mother passed last April & my sister is clearing out her house prior to it being sold. Most of her furniture etc is being donated to charitable causes but her TV, which she only bought in 2019/2020, I thought I would lay claim to.

I don't know the exact model only that it is a Sony Bravia WF66 and is about 40-42" screen size (diagonally measured). Packed in its original box it apparently measures 41.5" wide, 26.5" tall and 6" deep. This last measurement I think might be wrong. It weighs 12Kg packed.

If I think it worth having I will need to pay a courier to deliver it (about 320 miles) which I suspect will cost me about £80-£100.

I don't have any subscriptions or streaming services but I do have 2 DVD/HDD recorders plugged into my current TV. Also my SACD player (which I use for playing DVDs) plugged in and my Yamaha AV amp. Also an Amazon Firestick.

I suspect the Sony is more feature rich than my current Luxor (Scandinavian set) and is certainly more modern. Will my accessories all work on the Sony?

Any thoughts on the Sony Bravia range would be useful guys.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: JOHN72

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Cheers Simon, that is my next task....pricing up a courier. Parcel2go is on my list.

My sister reckons about £30....I reckon over twice that and some!

I just need to know for certain that the actual set is worth having afore I lash out on delivery fees.

BTW it had a 5 year warranty (John Lewis) so is still covered which would be a plus.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: JOHN72 and simong

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I was thinking maybe 20-30 sobs myself. Hopefully your sisters closer to the mark. Oh, don't forget the license! Lol. Although I'm not sure the detector vans go as far as the lanes in Cornwall so you might get away with it!?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm not sure ours are "Bravia", and am not at the house, but our last two televisions, one large and one smaller, have been Sonys and they have been great. Depending on the mode used the only nitpick I have is they don't seem to crank up as bright as some, but they are plenty bright for our needs in a darker room and a brighter room and I usually have them in a custom cinema mode and never really change it anyway.

No idea how many inputs your TV has or how your components would integrate. Ours have HDMI and RCA connect and regular cable connectivity but we run TIVO, and haven't had a DVD player hooked up to the system for awhile, but could easily do so.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was thinking maybe 20-30 sobs myself. Hopefully your sisters closer to the mark. Oh, don't forget the license! Lol. Although I'm not sure the detector vans go as far as the lanes in Cornwall so you might get away with it!?
Simon, my TVs have always worked perfectly well without a license so why change now eh? ;)

BTW, pricewise I think you might well be on the button....a brief check with Parcel2go came to about £18 which quite shocked me!

Regards,

Jay.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I have a Sony (maybe a Brvia, but I don't know) which I've had for about 9 years, and it's a great TV. I've never actually used it as a TV though, just have the PC plugged into it through the HDMI.

I've also got it plugged into a Cambridge audio Stereo, using the Digital output to get the sound through the HiFi set up, so I doubt yours will have any problems with what you want it to do, but it might be worth looking up to see what plug holes it has and make sure they all match.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I had a Sony Bravia for many years. I got rid of it to upgrade my sound options -- particularly blu-tooth. I got a Samsung which allows me to use headphones and EarPods without any fuss. I like this new flexibility. BUT, in every other way, I really miss the Bravia. Better picture, better operating system, more reliable.

So, I think you'll see where this is going -- if the Bravia permits the audio connections you wish to have, then I say keep it. They are great TVs.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a Sony in one bedroom around 55 inches. I have a Sony in another bedroom abou tthe same size. I have a 70" Sharp Aquos in my living room, that I really like . I also have 65" SHarp Aquos in my bedroom which is the smallest room in the house and I love that bitch as my eyes ain't what they are used to. If I had only one choice I would go Sharp especially bang for the buck. Try to remember human beings cannot differentiate 1090 P to 4k. At least that is what my audio visual guys said when I asked him about getting a 4 k.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If I got the model correct, it only has 2 HDMI inputs & 2 USB inputs, whereas my current TV has 2 HDMI inputs plus 2 Scart sockets which I use plus Component connectors.

Been reading online reviews and they're very mixed. Some say it is internet enabled, some say not! Just so long as I can connect all my stuff is my main worry plus picture/sound quality.

Regards,

Jay.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
If I got the model correct, it only has 2 HDMI inputs & 2 USB inputs, whereas my current TV has 2 HDMI inputs plus 2 Scart sockets which I use plus Component connectors.

Been reading online reviews and they're very mixed. Some say it is internet enabled, some say not! Just so long as I can connect all my stuff is my main worry plus picture/sound quality.

Regards,

Jay.

Can the stuff you have that uses Scarts use the HDMI? And I assume it has a digital input thing (it's a wierd little square socket) which could take the stereo assuming that has the output.

The USB's will presumabley take the Firestick though.

EDIT: The audio thing is the Digital Audio Output. I looked up the model you think it is and it does have one,

Reactions: mawnansmiff

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a Sony in one bedroom around 55 inches. I have a Sony in another bedroom abou tthe same size. I have a 70" Sharp Aquos in my living room, that I really like . I also have 65" SHarp Aquos in my bedroom which is the smallest room in the house and I love that bitch as my eyes ain't what they are used to. If I had only one choice I would go Sharp especially bang for the buck. Try to remember human beings cannot differentiate 1090 P to 4k. At least that is what my audio visual guys said when I asked him about getting a 4 k.
Well, under certain set sizes, that's right. But if it's a h.q. 4K feed, and set big enough, many humans can see the difference.
I ditched Sony for Samsung 6-7 years ago, and switched to LG a couple of years ago. All three marques make very good sets, though.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Simon, my TVs have always worked perfectly well without a license so why change now eh? ;)

Regards,

Jay.
Bunch of Pirates down your way, always been the same! Lol
To be fair, I don't pay it either. Purely a political protest in my case though. If the BBC want to dictate falsehoods & political bias, they can do it without my hard earned.