PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hello, everyone!

I just got a shipment in today from the Country Squire and am smoking some of their Delta Honeydew blend. So far, I'm really enjoying it! Has anyone else tried this one?

Anyhow, I've been hard at work lately making my first full length album and am re-working a few of my old songs. I just finished recording one I had written for my dog Ruby shortly after she passed away in the summer of 2020 and thought I would share it with you all. I would often smoke my pipe with Ruby by my side, whether we were out hiking or just sitting on the porch together, and so I put a line about that in the song. I'm sure many of you have your own animal companions who you love deeply and also enjoy smoking your pipe with, so maybe this song will be relatable to you!

I just wanted to share in case anyone is on the forum and in need of something to listen to. I hope you enjoy it!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man, what a touching song. My dog Lilah just passed last month, so it really hits home for me. Good writing there my friend. I wish all the best with your music as you’ve got some real talent there. I had dog named Ruby a long time ago. She was a crazy, and I mean crazy, Blue Heeler, I really loved her but she needed to be a herding dog or a lot of land to run on, we couldn’t wear that poor girl out, I was walking her up to 6 times a day. Haha.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Man, what a touching song. My dog Lilah just passed last month, so it really hits home for me. Good writing there my friend. I wish all the best with your music as you’ve got some real talent there. I had dog named Ruby a long time ago. She was a crazy, and I mean crazy, Blue Heeler, I really loved her but she needed to be a herding dog or a lot of land to run on, we couldn’t wear that poor girl out, I was walking her up to 6 times a day. Haha.
Thank you for your kind words! I'm very sorry for your loss... it's a terrible thing to go through. I think it just makes our love for them all the greater, knowing how little time we have with them. It's a bittersweet thing.
Your Ruby certainly sounds like she was a handful! Hah. Those herding dogs can be crazy. I remember my parents having to get rid of one when I was a kid because he was too high energy. We have a corgi now (my wife talked me into it) and I didn't realize that they, too, are herding dogs! Good thing we have another dog who plays with him constantly!

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hey thanks for mentioning me! I’ll check out this song posted tonight. My music is streamable and all that too but my bandcamp is here @Snook :

Awesome, thank you for the link! Listening to Spot of Yellow now. I'm really digging your style and the production is fantastic. I love listening to albums from start to finish on my headphones while I'm working, so I'll be listening to the whole thing tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it! Did you play all the instruments?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Awesome, thank you for the link! Listening to Spot of Yellow now. I'm really digging your style and the production is fantastic. I love listening to albums from start to finish on my headphones while I'm working, so I'll be listening to the whole thing tomorrow morning. Looking forward to it! Did you play all the instruments?
Hey thanks a lot man. I really appreciate it. Yeah I wrote, recorded, and performed everything on the album except for the stand up bass played with a bow. That was one of my friends who happens to be an incredible, classically trained musician. I recorded it all on cassette portastudios.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Hello, everyone!

I just got a shipment in today from the Country Squire and am smoking some of their Delta Honeydew blend. So far, I'm really enjoying it! Has anyone else tried this one?

Anyhow, I've been hard at work lately making my first full length album and am re-working a few of my old songs. I just finished recording one I had written for my dog Ruby shortly after she passed away in the summer of 2020 and thought I would share it with you all. I would often smoke my pipe with Ruby by my side, whether we were out hiking or just sitting on the porch together, and so I put a line about that in the song. I'm sure many of you have your own animal companions who you love deeply and also enjoy smoking your pipe with, so maybe this song will be relatable to you!

I just wanted to share in case anyone is on the forum and in need of something to listen to. I hope you enjoy it!

Hey man the song is great! Spunky, emotive acoustic guitar and beautiful lyrics. Love the vocal harmonies on the choruses.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
What a great song. I immediately thought our beloved dogs that we lost, Gilligan and Boomer. I think about them often.

Thank you for posting.

Great song - at least the part I made it through. Coincidentally, my name is Boomer so that’s why I quoted this reply. I like to think that @scloyd is secretly thinking about me.

I’m all seriousness, we just put my lab down a week ago and something about this song is making the air burn my eyes a bit so I’m going to revisit it at a later date.

Seriously, though, it sounds great. Well done!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hello, everyone!

That was really good. I still think of my previous dog who died 9 years ago this month. She was a very special creature. My current dog was born about the same time that one died, so she's 9 now and I hate to think about going through that again, but it's inevitable.

There are a lot of dog lovers on this forum, so I'm sure they'll appreciate your song.

Coincidentally, one of my favorite singer songwriters, Mary Karlzen, just put out a new song recently on the same theme...in tribute and memory of our departed K9 companions.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
Hello, everyone!

Great tribute to the perfect friend. Very nice song also! I have a six year old female Rat Terrier that is always by my side . I dread the day when she is no longer there.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Hey man the song is great! Spunky, emotive acoustic guitar and beautiful lyrics. Love the vocal harmonies on the choruses.
Thank you for listening! Your album was excellent and really a pleasure to listen to. I saved it to my library to revisit again later. :)

Reactions: LeafErikson

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Great song - at least the part I made it through. Coincidentally, my name is Boomer so that’s why I quoted this reply. I like to think that @scloyd is secretly thinking about me.

I’m all seriousness, we just put my lab down a week ago and something about this song is making the air burn my eyes a bit so I’m going to revisit it at a later date.

Seriously, though, it sounds great. Well done!
I'm really sorry you had to say goodbye to your lab, Boomer. It's never easy... and I don't blame you for not listening to the whole thing. I wouldn't be able to make it through, either. I appreciate your kind words for what you did hear, though!

Reactions: LeafErikson

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
That was really good. I still think of my previous dog who died 9 years ago this month. She was a very special creature. My current dog was born about the same time that one died, so she's 9 now and I hate to think about going through that again, but it's inevitable.

There are a lot of dog lovers on this forum, so I'm sure they'll appreciate your song.

Coincidentally, one of my favorite singer songwriters, Mary Karlzen, just put out a new song recently on the same theme...in tribute and memory of our departed K9 companions.

That's a lot like how our situation worked out. Ruby passed in the beginning of June, and our current dog (we named her Opal) was born at the end of that previous May. Hopefully both our current pups have many long years ahead.

Thank you so much for sharing Mary's song. That was beautiful!

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Great tribute to the perfect friend. Very nice song also! I have a six year old female Rat Terrier that is always by my side . I dread the day when she is no longer there.
Thank you so much for saying that! Thankfully those small breeds live a LONG time, so you don't have to worry about losing her anytime soon. My sister has a Parti Yorkie who is 8 now, and if your dog is anything like him, she's still just as crazy as she was when she was a puppy. Haha.