PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I was checking the forecast over on weather.com and this article caught my attention,Would you tell them?, It's the ten year anniversary of the Shuttle Columbia disaster. It's a hypothetical question, as NASA thought the heat shielding was fine. But it raises and interesting question. In ground control's place, if you knew, if there was nothing you could do, would you tell them it's coming? And why, or why not?

kinny141

Lurker
Jan 10, 2013
Wow, that is kind of a brutal question. I put myself in their shoes and I still don't know if I like the answer I gave myself.

In that position, at that time, I would have had to make the same call. Don't tell them and let them perform to the greatest of their abilities without the added pressure of the knowledge that they might not make it one way or the other.

This makes me glad that we have the technological prowess to perform differently today given the same obstacles they were presented with in the past.

That said, I would have done the same as the men in command, and then have to live my life knowing I made the best choice possible at the time. Hauntingly, substantially less of a choice option that anyone could have wanted, given the outcome of that time.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I honestly don't know what I would choose, in my mind it comes down to which I would rather have if I was on the shuttle. To look my own death in the eyes and meet it on my terms, say goodbye to my loved ones knowing it was for the last time,all while trying desperately not to wet myself and go down in history as the freaked out panicky guy? Or, to not know the time of my own death and meet it by surprise,like being highjacked in a dark alley on my way home from an otherwise successful flight. Just bam gone.

kinny141

Lurker
Jan 10, 2013
If you were on the shuttle you would rather have not known. Think about it, you have been trained, for months. Your whole being has been poured into the fact that you know how to fly and control the firey beast you pilot. You also know that you may never see your family again. You know there are a lot of what ifs. To be told a definite, "NO!" you won't be making it back, would only hinder your capabilities as a profoundly gifted pilot and possibly hinder your abilities through the fear of that knowledge.

The fact that you went on that deadly mission, to parts unknown and to discover seemingly impossible truths in the effort to enlighten our whole human race, should be and mean enough to your children's children that you loved them. Giving the greatest sacrifice in giving ones whole life. Amazing.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i'd tell them. to knowingly send them into a reentry that you knew would kill them without telling them it would? i'd give them the benefit of knowing the words they speak and the things they do would be the last they ever would be able to. and give them a little more time if they chose that - who knows one of them might have in that time written the most beautiful poem ever known to the human race, or one might have postulated that theory of some great physics problem that had been bouncing around in his head, waiting for a time to set it down on paper, during that remaining time.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The engineers knew about the seal problem, political pressure made them immune to the old Adage When in Doubt Pull it Out, nothing was gained that day except make families suffer. The old cajun

redinthehead

Lurker
Feb 1, 2013
Las Vegas
I would want somebody to tell me. The thing I hate most in life is not knowing. If I had no clue it was going to explode, and it started bursting into flames, I would freak out. Completely. knowing I was dead, knowing I'd never see my loved ones again. Knowing I never got to say farewell. It would make the situation that much more miserable.

I'd rather know. I'd rather they tell me all about what was going to happen. Just so I could be prepared.
What a tough thing to think about.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
About a year ago, I went through some Executive Management training. They used the Challenger disaster to talk about organizational dysfunction. There were many many people at the bottom of the organizational ladder who were trying to warn management. But political pressure, career pressure, budget pressure and management who thought they knew better did not create an environment where a subject matter expert could influence executive management. It was a fascinating study that we did. I guess in answer to the OP.... they tried.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
If I knew I would tell them. If I was on the shuttle I'd want to know. Professionals like the folks on the shuttle want all the data they can get. Maybe all you can do with the info is say goodbye, maybe someone will come up with a creative? I will say they are brave men and women in our space program!

Status
Not open for further replies.