PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
OK - I don't have a buffer and I have stems that need cleaning. Yes, did the oxy bath - but now its time to sand and micro sand OR IS IT? In reading another post I saw someone mention a friend who uses an ultrasonic cleaner. That got me to thinking about my brass vibrator. Could I throw some cob or walnut hulls in it throw in the oxidized stems and see? I'll try it on a couple for varying lengths of time and see what happens. I just won a lot of stems off Ebay so I can spare a few if the experiment goes awry. Has anyone tried this? Anyone want to venture a guess on if it will work? It gets my brass super shiny, surely it can remove oxidation.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
hmmm...I think it will work. Or at least I hope it will because I'm totally intrigued. Please let us know what happens!

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
They are in the vibrator now. Have been for about 1.5 hours. Will check in another hour or so. Used Arsenal Corn Cob but did NOT use any Flitz which I usually do when polishing brass. I'll keep you posted.

professorwheezy

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2013
FAILURE!!!!! First, I thought about but didn't tape the ends of the stem. SHOULD HAVE. YEP, got clogged with corncob. If it will plug brass, it will plug up the hold in a stem. Basically did nothing except make me clean out the stems of the media. And in doing so I broke one stem. I ran it for about 4 hours with minimal if ANY sign that it was removing the oxidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.