PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tilted Piper

Lurker
Feb 4, 2021
Is there a type of baggie or a particular manufacturer or perhaps a bag material that is better than the ziploc style bags from the grocery store for traveling with small amounts of tobacco? I guess the ziploc bags are okay, but it seems like tobacco dries out in those bags.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The thicker freezer bags seem to work good for several days.

Tobacco manufacturers bags are heavier too.

All told, unless it’s sealed well, it’s going to dry out. It’s just a matter of the time frame.

What I’ll do if tobacco is a little too dry for my liking is blow a few breaths through the bowl. That provides enough moisture to make smoking a tobacco that’s on the dry side tolerable...

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I bought some small zip style baggies from Amazon that are about 1.5x3 inches if memory serves me right. It came in a bundle of 100. They hold about 2 bowls worth. I fill about four of them with different blends and put them in the zippered tobacco compartment of my MM leather one pipe pouch. Keeps blends separate, the pouch clean and I have a variety on hand. Be sure to write the blend type with a Sharpie.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most grocery store baggies, and many from tobacco shops are way to thin. Some are great, but probably have 3-4X the mils of the cheap bags.

You can also double bag it. Roll the first bag up tight, put in another bag, and roll it up. Can last for months. (Except where the ambient humidity is less than about 50%.)

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Most grocery store baggies, and many from tobacco shops are way to thin. Some are great, but probably have 3-4X the mils of the cheap bags.

You can also double bag it. Roll the first bag up tight, put in another bag, and roll it up. Can last for months. (Except where the ambient humidity is less than about 50%.)
I usually just use a regular baggie for short-term storage, but the double bagging technique works well* for more medium term storage. Just a redundancy that offers a bit more protection

*There is a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I'm too lazy to dig it out at the moment.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Would a 62% Boveda pack work to keep tobacco in a zip lock fresh? I’ve been thinking of trying it with an empty tin I use to take tobacco to work. Sometimes by the end of the day tobacco that was just right becomes brittle dry.

May 14, 2021
Tejas
You could always keep a small, travel-size Boveda pack if using a Ziplocs; however, as mentioned previously, your best bet would be a tobacco pouch or airtight travel tin (don't let the "stoner" stigma fool you... they've created an entire market of inconspicuous items that work just as well with baccy).

Reactions: seanv

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I have a weakness for real cellophane bags. You can get them online from specialty, it’s the same material that the cigars are wrapped in, a form of paper. The thing is tobacco in them needs to be humidified but they allow the tobacco to breath way better than plastic. I feel like the flavor is always better when smoking tobacco from them but who knows could be my head