Something About A Long And Hard Days Work...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
That makes the pipe and a nice glass of scotch taste that much sweeter. Work hard, and relax hard :puffy:
Happy puffin,

pipenscotch

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Oh nice, I'll have to try that combo tomorrow night! I'm having Westminister with a Bruichladdich 10 Year. Not too shabby of a pairing actually.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
The 12 year is one of my favorites! Many nights have been spent with a dram and multiple bowls of 1Q :puffy: If you haven't yet, track down a bottle from their newest line, the 1824 series. There's Gold, Amber, Sienna and Ruby. I've had Gold and Sienna, and I'd personally recommend trying the Sienna. A little more intense than the 12 year sherry, but lots of dried fruits on the nose and palate. Well paired with Sunset Breeze if I might add. Stay away from Gold, it's not worthy of the Macallan name in my opinion.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I couldn't agree more! For me I usually finish of with a dark rope or a bowl of Revor Plug. But the smoky taste competes with Island malts, so it's port for me.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've actually been trying some Niagara region (Ontario) ice wines with some varying degrees of success. My all time favourite ice wine is a cabernet franc that is rather sweet but with bolder flavoured tobaccos it is a nice pairing. I tried it with my all day smoke of Carter Hall and it completely drowned out the flavours of the tobacco as it is just too mild to compete with the wine. However I paired a late harvest Riesling with CH and it was a very nice combination as the flavours are not as bold in the Riesling.
Its a work in progress for now as I'm not much of a drinker, but so far so good. And yes, there is nothing better after a long day than sitting down with a bowl of your favourite tobacco and unwinding. Cheers!

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I've a bottle of Springbank 10 year old that is my "reward" from time to time but I've never paired it with a smoke. I'll usually reserve the Old No. 7 and cola for that because I want something a little wetter and sweeter matched with my Blue Note aro. at day's end.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The best is when the work is something you care about, where you feel you have worked productively and successfully,

and sometimes even creatively. Then the pipe and beverage are a glory exalted. Sometimes, when a family member is

ill or the work is arduous, boring, or unpleasant, the "treats" at the end of the day are just a reminder that life can be

good, even if it isn't always good.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The best is when the work is something you care about, where you feel you have worked productively and successfully,

and sometimes even creatively. Then the pipe and beverage are a glory exalted. Sometimes, when a family member is

ill or the work is arduous, boring, or unpleasant, the "treats" at the end of the day are just a reminder that life can be

good, even if it isn't always good.
Amen MSO, my pipe reminds me constantly during our struggles that even when times are tough there are still some things worth enjoying in life.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Much agreed. A nice pipe at the end of a crazy day at work, nothing can beat it, especially after a big dinner. Oh man, talk about a perfect unwinding.
Although, for me, I'm not so much for scotch/whisky while smoking. It just isn't my cup of tea-I mean-drink of choice when smoking. I enjoy a nice cup of coffee with my pipe.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I started my foray into Scotch just recently with Glenmorangie, Original. So far I'm preferring it with just a bit of water. Seems to unjumble the flavors a bit. Still haven't tried it with a pipe.
I do enjoy something dark and stout (whether it be coffee or a pint) with a good VaPer.
Oh and "yessir" about unwinding. A drink and a pipe push away budgets, doctors, and politics. I love sitting at the picnic table with both, while I watch my kids play in the yard. Usually there's a few neighborhood kids coming back and forth, I've got the grill going, and my wife is happy hiding in the AC.
And now I miss summer.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Sorry I sat on my spectacles earlier and misread this as "Something Long and Hard after a Day's Work"!! I thought I'd inadvertently switched to a different site!!! Please forgive me - I've had a tincture or two to celebrate Harris's return.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I rarely ever drink alcohol, and then only straight vodka, but I do look forward to an after dinner pipe. I consciously refuse to keep a pipe at my office, because I wish to limit my smoking, but on very stressful days I'm like a junkie jonesing to get home for that pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.