PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well seems like I went a little wild during this thanksgiving weekend and ordered me another brand new long stem Dunhill shell prince groupe 3 ,this time from England, and still, with no discounts, my question is seems like these prince shape pipes come with this idiotic long stringers,can I remove it and smoke without?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No problem, but I wonder if it also gives some strength to the shank?

Also, are you going to give the stem a slight bend to be more in keeping with the Prince shape? Nice add!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Filters, stingers, whatever. None of it is necessary. A wide open draw has no detriments if your cadence is fluid.

beautiful pipe btw. I have a black 1928 double patent FET Dunhill Prince. Amazing to see the shape still carrying on. Much lighter blast these days though.10648

Last edited:
Nice pipe! You certainly may. The innertubes as hauntedmyst mentioned were Dunhill's way of helping you keep your pipe in excellent shape longer.
The airways would clog up with stuff eventually with use because no one had invented the pipe cleaner rendering your pipe unusable. Wit the tube, the smoker could just pull it out and clean it under running water and reinsert. Voila! clean airway.

Some people still use them. I use them on a couple pipes. I have no logical reason why other than they came with them....

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think pipe cleaners have been available long before the inner tubes were put in pipes, nor were they likely very expensive. They do make cleaning the airway easier, but are a nuisance otherwise.

I'd not throw them away, but store them, if your or your heirs want to sell the pipe to a collector, who will want all aspects of the pipe intact.

Reactions: burleyboy
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
So, are you guys going to give those pipes a more princely shape? Like this GBD... Ever so subtle, but true to form.

View attachment 10690
JpmC,That's a very nice looking GBD ,however as for this very Dunhill I reckon I'd stick with the straight stem,but I read somewhere that proper prince shape pipe must to have that subtle bent stems, Much of older French make pipes come like that, and present days Comoy's 337 /Savinellis 313-315 are good examples to that shape

Status
Not open for further replies.