PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Does the stem feel softer to your teeth than other stems you own? Vulcanite can be shined up to look like lucite. I have some vulcanite stems that are softer than others as well.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am actually basing it on the feel of it rather than the look. I'd bet everything it's lucite, fees like my other lucite stems - and if so, I assume it's a fairly recent pipe.
I wonder when they started using acrylics...

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Another nice panel! Second one I have seen on this site today. I have a Parker panel, one of my favorite pipes. It is a aesthetic I would love to see resurrected.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very nice. Sure looks like der Bingles pipe! I'm not a fan of billiards, but those panels (Dave's recent Ferndown) are growing on me. I'm not aware of any factory pipe from Italy that uses anything but acrylic stems?

rock

Lurker
Nov 14, 2011
numbersix
I looked at the ad in the link you posted in original post and it says acrylic stem. Nice pipe

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@rock - well that's strange. I had saved a screen shot of that page and as you can see, it says vulcanite. To change it after it's sold is unusual - maybe they saw this post and decided to change. :)
Well, then my next question is: when did acrylics come into fashion? I got to figure within the last 20 years, but maybe they've been around longer? Anyone have an opinion on that? I may post this as a separate question on the forum...
savinelli-screenshot-556x600.png

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Depends on whether you like vulcanite over acrylic/lucite. Take it from someone who has been maintaining collector pipes for many years, go for acrylic whenever possible. Doesn't fade, fewer toothmarks, and a little wax rub once in a great while and they're like new. Sure beats doing a Peterson system standard by hand when a buffer won't reach every little area of the stem. That's a nice pipe you have, hope you're happy with it.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I am quite envious, I was about to purchase that pipe but you beat me to it. Congratulations on your victory.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It is curious that Smokingpipes has the stem listed as Vulcanite. I'm not really aware of any Italian factory using vulcanite for stems.

Status
Not open for further replies.