Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
@OzPiper

Here's some unique bottles I recently just received I mentioned in another thread.

My shipment originally got sent back to France by USPS but the seller graciously reshipped the order to my brother in Germany and he's visiting and brought the bottles with him. If the seller hadn't reshipped I would never have gotten these bottles.

IMG_20211030_091432110.jpg

IMG_20211030_091445999.jpg

IMG_20211030_091454874.jpg

Matured in WWII era barrels and bottled at 48%. The Fins Bois is 52 years old and the Grande Champagne is 63 years old.

I was only allowed to buy 2 bottles of each.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I saw the offer but resisted the temptation. Have you tried either ? How are they ?

I liked the 1969 Vallein Tercinier very much. So much so I'm tempted to get a couple of their other bottlings.

Reactions: shanez

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
@OzPiper

Here's some unique bottles I recently just received I mentioned in another thread.

My shipment originally got sent back to France by USPS but the seller graciously reshipped the order to my brother in Germany and he's visiting and brought the bottles with him. If the seller hadn't reshipped I would never have gotten these bottles.

View attachment 105941

View attachment 105942

View attachment 105943

Matured in WWII era barrels and bottled at 48%. The Fins Bois is 52 years old and the Grande Champagne is 63 years old.

I was only allowed to buy 2 bottles of each.

You sir are a bad influence?. Reading how much you enjoy cognac and other distilled grapes, I am trying my first Cognac and Cigar. Pretty darn good. I’m learning whiskey, pretty good with rums, but this is new. Hennessy VS, I figured it’s a baseline classic to start.

Reactions: dcon and shanez

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'll be celebrating a significant b'day (well, to me. Not sure if others will view it as such ?) next year, so I've set aside bottles of birth year cognac, Armagnac and Rhum for the occasion.

As most of my mates are wine, rather than spirit aficionados, those spirits are probably an overkill at the end of the night ?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
You sir are a bad influence?. Reading how much you enjoy cognac and other distilled grapes, I am trying my first Cognac and Cigar. Pretty darn good. I’m learning whiskey, pretty good with rums, but this is new. Hennessy VS, I figured it’s a baseline classic to start.
Growing up in Malaysia, cognac was the spirit of choice. Whisky was a curiosity then and rarely imbibed, except by the Indian population. Yes, there IS a racial divide when it comes to choice of spirits. Chinese generally preferred grape spirits. Now, of course, single malts have become the spurit of choice.

When I started smoking cigars regularly, I looked at what drinks went best. That's when I really became interested (my friends would call it an obsession) in rums/rhums.

Funnily I tried Bundaberg rum (that ubiquitous Aussue brand) years ago and was so underwhelmed that it was decades later that I could bring myself to try another.

Also in the early '70s Bacardi and coke was one of THE party drinks. Very few knew that Bacardi was rum !

Last edited:
Reactions: jttnk

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I was a cognac guy before I went teetotaler.
Really liked the Pierre Ferrand; And also enjoyed Kelt (Though their marketing story left something to be desired).

But I decided to rid myself of a few vices, and didn’t want to give up my Piping. So alcohol went ta-ta.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never been around Cognac that much. How is it consumed -- before meals, with meals, or as a cocktail in the evening or as a night cap? I'm guessing it goes pretty well with some pipe blends, and which might those be, for you anyway?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My answer is, all of the above. For a rundown on all of the ways to drink cognac, Google "drinking cognac," which will bring up the appropriate article from vinepair.com. It does it all -- cocktail mixed or neat, even over ice, definitely with food, but knowingly selected for the purpose.

Reactions: JOHN72 and OzPiper

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Reactions: OzPiper

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Love a good Cognac. I had a fabulous 1914 and a 1918 at Berns Steak House in Tampa in their desert room. It is the only place I have found where you can buy 1978 French reds of decent quality for under $30 a bottle. Here is the link Premium Steaks in Tampa | Largest Wine Collection | Bern's Steak House - https://bernssteakhouse.com and if you are ever in the area now that Covid19 has died down a little drop me a PM - nudge nudge @kevin!
I ate/drank there once! Amazing place with an even more amazing wine cellar(s)!

Not to mention, the steak menu is like an excel spreadsheet!