PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusty

Lurker
Feb 21, 2012
Hello all, My name is dusty and Im new here and to Pipe smoking... I was wondering what you guys might think I should do. I tend to travel lot for work

and take several pipes along isnt very practical. I tend to smoke alot and wont be able to let my pipe rest very much. So what Im asking is what type of pipe

you guys thing would work well for me when Im on the road? as a side note the pipe needs to be ruged and low priced.... Thanks guys....

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
A Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe would work well for that situation. They are well made and cost around $10.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
A Falcon makes a great travel pipe, no need to rest and easey to clean and you can carry spare bowls if you want. Also a Meerschaum is another option, doesn't need resting as much as a briar, if you prefer the looks of a briar you could even go for a Meerschaum Lined pipe.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm with Juvat & Philip. Get a couple of good cobs - and maybe 1 nice briar for the last pipe of the day. :puffy:

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
First of all, welcome to the forum!

I am a big fan of both cobs and the Falcons. I have the Dr. Grabow(Viking) version of a falcon and eight bowls for it. As far as travelling I would vote for the Falcon or DG Viking with a few replacement bowls. These pipes have a screw off bowl so you can just switch them out for your next smoke. Whenever I have to do a day of Dr. appt's I grab the stem and a few bowls and I am good ot go for the day!

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Cobs are good. When I travel I rotate 3 pipes. You may only need 3-4 hours rest for one pipe. So i would say a couple big bowl cobs and a good briar. Or you could get a decent meer, they dont need any rest at all. Also I suggest a good case with the foam padding.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I think everyone's suggestions cover it. A couple of things I will state is that meerschaum is a little more fragile, so definitely keep it in its' case when traveling. As far as multiple pipes, there are pipe cases/bags that will help you keep a good steady rotation all compacted into one. The bags don't tend to be that big; I'd say about the size of a shaving/toiletry bag. Some are a little larger, but they provide ample space for pipes, tamper, lighter, pipe cleaners and usually a pouch/tin of tobacco.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Hi Dusty.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of the comments above. It's just a matter of personal preference, but I'm not a huge fan of either cobs or Dr. Grabows, especially their stems.
Not knowing your travelling situation, I think you could easily carry 2 or 3 decent briars plus lighter, cleaners, tamper, etc. As far as resting, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Case.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I took that photo directly from smokingpipes.com ... that particular model is out of stock I think, but they have a pretty good selection. If you don't see what you want there, these types of bags are available EVERYWHERE, from just a few dollars to mega-bucks!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'm with Bigvan and not a big fan of cobs or Grabows. Meerschaums are too fragile IMHO to travel with. As many of you know, I travel a lot so here is my routine. It all depends how many bowls you smoke each day. In my case that's 4 to 6.
Pipes: 2 sometimes 3 good briars. One for Aro's, one for non and then whatever else I fancy

Tobacco: one tin, or two, couple of baggies, cleaners, Czech tool

Fire: Bic lighters, matches

Travel case: a slightly padded old CD travel case, without the CD inserts of course ;-)
As far as the actual pipes go, they're entry level Pete's, Sav's and a couple of nameless ones. I take the pipes on my trip and smoke em all week. They get a good clean over the weekend while i enjoy my other pipes, sometimes I take the same ones the next week, sometimes I don't but I have a large enough collection now to do that.
Dusty: what's your budget like? I think you can go for three good briars. Take two on the road, leave one at home. During the weekend, smoke the one, clean the two. Then as your collection expands, you can switch them out. I'd look at the sponsor sites and buy the cheaper nameless briars. Leonessa, Roma, duca Carlo are good as well.
Good luck, hope this was helpful.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I've got a four pipe bag that I take with me everywhere I go, Its not very big but holds all my baccy, 4 pipes, tools, and lighter. You could then take whatever you want. I think mine was like 25 bucks on Ebay. Castleford was the name of it

alonso2

Lurker
Feb 20, 2012
I wouldn't carry a meerschaum, too easy to break them. But Falcons has already been mentioned and corncob. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.