PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
Hi everyone, being a new pipe smoker. I am on my third smoke. I have some questions. I am smoking a MM Legend with Prince Albert. Can't wait till payday to get another pipe and some different tobacco.
1. When packing the pipe I think I had it to loose the fist couple of times. The smoke was very thin. On the third smoke I tried to pack it a little tighter. It was a little better. Smoke was a little better. And the draw did not seem any different when there is no tobacco in it. Pipe seems a little warm. What do you think? Am I packing it to tight or not enough?
2. On the first two smokes I tamp the pipe lightly maybe the weight on the tool (Czech). On the third smoke I used a little more pressure and it seemed to smoke better. Is either way more correct?
Thanks,
Ron

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I think you are doing the right thing by asking the questions even though they are not questions that have easy answers. If you can watch someone else with more experience and they can watch you that could help. If not play with it and don't expect to get it "right" as there is no right. With practice you just get a feel for it, you'll get it faster with your pondering.
Smoke volume does not matter at all, more is not better.
When I started I tried to control more variables to make the whole experience work better. If I could give myself advice I would say chill out, relax and enjoy the learning. Now I just smoke, no fussing, no preference and it is a much more relaxing experience. That and I am still learning plenty!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
1-pack the tobacco until you have the slightest resistance in the draw. The pipe may get warm, but if it gets too hot, you may be smoking too fast.
2-I just let the weight of the tamper do the work.
Excellent choices on beginning pipe and tobacco BTW. Just remember practice, practice, practice. :wink:

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
If firmer packing has improved your smoke, then you might want to try packing even a little firmer. You really need to experiment a little to find the sweet spot. Too loose and too tight both lead to problems. Eventually, you'll just do it without thinking about it -- it will become second nature. A loose pack will burn hotter as a rule, though you can overheat just about any pipe and this is mostly a matter of how fast one smokes. Light tamping is necessary in order to ensure good contact between the burning ember and the tobacco below and it sounds like you are on the right track here. The weight of a czech tool alone is probably not enough, but all the same the goal is not to crush the remaining tobacco into a solid plug. Tweak your technique a little here and there but don't over-analyze. Correct is what works for you and gives you an enjoyable smoke. If you are enjoying your pipe and if it is not so hot that you can't hold it then you are well on your way.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
With Prince Albert, which is actually fairly dense, I find what is needed is to fill the pipe via gravity and then exert the lightest of pressure. Because it is slightly sticky, too much pressure will make a dense hot-burning mass.
But I love the stuff. Delicious and almost has enough Nicotine to be worth the effort.

eagleron

Lurker
Jun 20, 2016
Louisiana
After doing so more reading I wonder if Prince Albert needs to dry some before you put it in the pipe. If so how long before you pack it?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dry time varies hugely depending on location, where RH (relative humidity) can vary from below 20% to above 80%, indoors or out, time of year, and on and on. I've used a small hygrometer to try to narrow down what's a good moisture level- for me somewhere around 65% at 70º. I've had tobaccos come int 88% RH, down to 55% RH, so the starting point can vary hugely, too.
Folks with a lot of experience with a few tobaccos can pretty much tell by feel, but starting out, it helps to have some actual numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.