PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece.
My favourite smoking music is Chopin's Nocturnes (which you might also like if you haven't listened to it already given you're choice :)) - hope you enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdimyyD-ZQk

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Nice music!
Here's something to engage your brain whilst you enjoy a nice long smoke:
JS Bach -Musical Offering
There's a book regarding the origin of this music that is good read called,

Evening in the Palace of Reason: Bach Meets Frederick the Great in the Age of Enlightenment
My wife is an amatuer pianist and called this contrapuntal type of music, "spaghetti music" because of the interweaving lines and threads. Bach's detractors called it disparagingly, "scientific music". Whatever you call it, it's amazing and beautiful.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Nice selections, gentlemen. I too am a fan of Bach. But my morning music is eclectic. I often listen to the softer brand of rock in the morning, like the early Jefferson Airplane, Savoy Brown, etc. Go figure.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Three days ago on a visit to my son, Teddy, I played some Satie off my iPod in the car. He didn't hate it.
And Bach, Chopin, DeBussy are all in my regular playlists.
The Henri le Chat is hilarious. So French! Quel ennui!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I prefer the soothing sounds of Pantera's fine album entitled "Vulgar Display of Power". 'Tis very relaxing when puffing the pipe. Those boys of Pantera were quite the adorable bunch of whippersnappers.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I find Vulgar Display of Power a bit too enthusiastic for a morning smoke, whereas Cowboys From Hell has an ethereal almost choir like tone that goes oh so well with a bowl or two.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Sadly, I am one of those truly tone deaf people.
Tone deaf does not mean that I cannot hear different tones, just that what I hear is flattened and muted compared to a normal listener. (Supposedly, anyway. What I hear sounds normal to me!)
Because of that, while I can enjoy lyrics and, to a lesser extent, rhythm, I do not get the emotional response to music that others get. I don't necessarily dislike music, it just doesn't hold my attention.
I don't even really understand what I'm missing, because I don't have anything to compare it to.
Oh, well... at least I have my other senses!

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Almost any saxophone jazz or piano music sounds to me like it was created for little other than to smoke by.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I were watching an old movie on TV called "The Song of Love" starring Katharine Hepburn and Paul Henreid. A fictionalized story of a romance between Clara Schumann, (Robert Schumann's wife) and Johannes Brahms. A fun little vintage movie, but it got me to thinking about Clara Schumann, who was a great pianist, and composer herself. So I dug out an old album of her music and we listened to it while smoking and reading. She was no slouch as a composer, and it was very relaxing listening to her music.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I find Vulgar Display of Power a bit too enthusiastic for a morning smoke, whereas Cowboys From Hell has an ethereal almost choir like tone that goes oh so well with a bowl or two.
Agreed, kind sir. I would also throw in Down's NOLA and Down II as well. They go nice with anything dark and english. Or a black tooth grin. :mrgreen:
RIP Dime

brunoreiser

Lurker
Aug 11, 2015
An earlier piece for an ancient and noble habit, Robert de Visée's Suite en la mineur, played by Jonas Nordberg at the theorbo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUcGD4rRRc

Status
Not open for further replies.