PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Been busy working on various pipes. A couple are very close to completion.
Top is a roughed out cavalier in the raw, will have bamboo on both ends, same as the one to the right of it that is further along.
The 2 black ones I just finished with the chemical stain. Have always wanted a Stanwell N2 "Nanna Iverson" but even the estates hit $200 and just have not had the money for one so I will make my own lol.
Below the "N2" is what will be a silver caped and shanked Canadian. Ultimate goal is a Rhodesian or Bulldog with a silver cap and shank but I am just now getting the shape down so figure I would do something easier like a Canadian as it will be my second attempt at a silver cap, the 1st silver cap I made being a complete failure.
Last is a squat Bulldog. Really like Bulldogs and Rhodesian's. And the variations. It getting close to completion but I think I will do a ebony WOOD bit and maybe a briar bit as well. Its been something I have wanted to do, a all wood pipe. I love the Kaywoodie all briars and managed to get one a decent price finally!!! But still want to try my hand at it.......hope you guys like the in progress pic.......
20161129_132150-600x337.jpg

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ runic, you and me both. There have been a few times already when nothing went right and nothing got done. So far everything is going smoothly. Hoping it stays that way lol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love the way pipes go from a blocky piece of wood to a sort of primitive pipe form, to a kind of rough approximation, and then by some alchemy, to these gorgeous burners. I think it was Michelangelo who said sculpting was finding the figure in the stone, though this is finding the elegant pipe in the block of briar or other wood. Never tire of seeing that progression. It's not quite a birth, but it is.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ MSO489, I am not real good at reading the briar but with the one on the right that will be a cavalier I have the grain starting at the leading edge. So the grain is oriented the same on both sides. Definitely not as good as guys that have been doing it a while but working at it. And I certainly do enjoy the creative process from beginning to end......

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Looking forward to seeing how this "chemical stain" looks when finished.

I really like the dimensions on that billiard.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ bluegrassbrian, the black one with the long stem will be a Canadian with silver. The bottom squat bully is done with the "chemical stain". The chem stain is where you apply tannons to the pipe, let it dry and then use vinegar with some steel wool in it. The solution needs to sit for a bit and will react. If I remember you have to be careful with it as it produces hydrogen gas. Think Hindenburg Zepplin. It gives a real nice blue black and makes it easier to do contrast stains as it will not react with alcohol based stains. I dont mess with contrast staining as i like the natural color of the wood. If you notice the 2 bowls that are finished the only thing done is chemical. The lower one has a lighter colored wood and the one on the above right is just the natural color of the wood with a pinkish orangish hue. I think it is Algerian, the lower being Italian......

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Well this one is pretty much done. I say pretty much as I will be playing with some stain on the bamboo to give it a little more uniform appearance and will also make a acrylic stem for it as I am not sure how popular the briar stem will be. I think it looks cool but its not really traditional. I have a Kaywoodie all briar but only one. And I have never smoked it but it looks pretty. Anyway.....pics
sbd1-600x337.jpg

sqbd2-600x337.jpg

sqbd3-600x337.jpg

sbd4-600x337.jpg

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ lohengrin, I use 5/32nds stainless tubing to connect everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.