Some Advice if this Pipe from Irish Second is Safely Smokable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
I just bought one irish second pipe. The original one is Sherlock Holmes Original from Peterson. Despite the irish second printing on it you can still see the original printing. The pipe looks overall very nice. I really love the shape and wood pattern on it. Bought it with 110 Euro instead of 160.

But inside the bowl is quite rough. At the bottom of the inner wall you can see the drilling has digged too deep and left a big hole inside. Actually im not so sure if its drilled too deep or not. Because it is my first bent pipe ever. Never inspected any other bent pipe inside and found no photo of it. I'm therefore afraid that this big hole would lead to a burn out, although according to seller it is smokable. I would like to hear some advice from more experienced smokers.

And I also wonder if I should do something to make the inner wall smoother as I try to break in the pipe. I never saw a pipe with so rough wall inside and I'm afraid it would cause unequal heating, which might also lead to burn out.

bottem.jpg
See at the center of the bottom of the pipe. It is already to be recognized the producer has drilled two times.
bottom right.jpg
The drill hole on the right side.
bottom left.jpg
the drill hole on the left side.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

inner wall.jpg
the inner wall is really rough and unequally painted with whatever stuff that is used to protect the wall of the pipe from burn out. But I'm not sure if it will cause unequal distrubution of heat and cause a burn out...

shank drilling.jpg
The drilling in the shank. I suppose it has the same structure as a Peterson System Pipe? The error on the edge is ok i think.

front.jpgoriginal.jpg
the overall look of her.

I would really love to hear your opions on this matter, if it is smokable or the big drilling hole in the bottom and the rough apply on the wall might cause problem later on?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
The bowl is a little rough, particularly as shown in the 5th pic. Most of my pipes are bent billiards, and occasionally you’ll see a hole or slight indentation opposite the draft hole from the bit, but that looks pretty deep. You could fill it with cake, or a mixture of activated charcoal. It is a nice looking pipe, but I personally would pass at that price… but if you like it, it might be worth the rehab ?

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
The bowl is a little rough, particularly as shown in the 5th pic. Most of my pipes are bent billiards, and occasionally you’ll see a hole or slight indentation opposite the draft hole from the bit, but that looks pretty deep. You could fill it with cake, or a mixture of activated charcoal. It is a nice looking pipe, but I personally would pass at that price… but if you like it, it might be worth the rehab ?
Yeah I really love the wood pattern with fine hair lines on the bowl, especially this one is covered almost 360 degree with this pattern. But if the pipe gonna be destroyed during smoking because of the deficiency, maybe i shall return it. Although i normally dont smoke till the end. Don't know if it will still cause a problem. But yeah, maybe i can just open up a filter and fill the hole with charcoal as repair. ? There are only photos of the outside of the pipe online. If I could know about it, I would hesitate a bit or first ask here before I order. Anyway thx for the advice

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Lightly smooth the chamber with sandpaper if you find it distracting and smoke it, I see nothing wrong with it as is.
I just guess the producer just dont bother finishing the chamber after the pipe was drilled too deep down and was meant to be a second ware. I just hope the pipe is ok to smoke with

Reactions: Chasing Embers

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Btw, I just roughly measured the depth of the hole with pipe cleaner. the deepest should be about 2 - 3 mm deep

C

Corcoran-Rooney

I'm a newbie, but if someone sold me a pipe with a hole in it like that, I think I would want my money back. Saying that, I recently bought a Savinelli which had a void in the carbon, and the stem was a bit lose, but I never sent it back.

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
I'm a newbie, but if someone sold me a pipe with a hole in it like that, I think I would want my money back. Saying that, I recently bought a Savinelli which had a void in the carbon, and the stem was a bit lose, but I never sent it back.
I'm a newbie too, high five lol. According to the seller, the deficiency wont bother normal smoking, so I order it, before i saw the hole, when I become not so sure about it ?

• Haha
Reactions: Corcoran-Rooney

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
It's a second for a reason. Just smoke it
Yeah, it's classified as the first class of the irish second, thought the problem won't be too big. Maximal some deficiency on the outlook or some little problem. never thought the hole would be that big. I'm gonna break it in later with aged burley from solani. hope it will be all right. got warrenty for 1 year anyway ?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
C

Corcoran-Rooney

I'm a newbie too, high five lol. According to the seller, the deficiency wont bother normal smoking, so I order it, before i saw the hole, when I become not so sure about it ?
High five fellow newbie. I just realised it is a 'second', whatever that means. I think I should keep my comments to myself for the time being lol

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
High five fellow newbie. I just realised it is a 'second', whatever that means. I think I should keep my comments to myself for the time being lol
according to the website on smokingpipe.eu
When these cosmetic flaws don't affect the function or durability, they generally get sold at a deep discount. pipes produced right here in Ireland, fully functional, eminently smokeable, and heavily discounted due to some superficial blemish. Irish Seconds are graded from 1 to 3, with 1 being the highest quality, and 3 being the deepest discount.
and mine is graded 1.

C

Corcoran-Rooney

according to the website on smokingpipe.eu
When these cosmetic flaws don't affect the function or durability, they generally get sold at a deep discount. pipes produced right here in Ireland, fully functional, eminently smokeable, and heavily discounted due to some superficial blemish. Irish Seconds are graded from 1 to 3, with 1 being the highest quality, and 3 being the deepest discount.
and mine is graded 1.
Ahhhhh, I see. Now it makes sense. Will have to have a look at that website, but not sure how it will be now the UK has left the EU (fucking idiots). Actually, I am going to Ireland in a few weeks for a wedding, going to be staying at my Uncle's house in Leitrim, could get one sent there. Now there's an idea, hmmmmmm!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The “roughness” you describe is the bowl coating. No issue there.

There’s no issue with the drilling of the pipe on the mortise end either.

The draft hole was drilled lower than the floor of the chamber. The lower draft hole may present some issues with moisture collecting there and cause gurgling. Sanding the bottom of the chamber will lower it down a little bit so the draft is a little more even with the floor of the chamber.

There may be no issues the way it is. I’d smoke it and see how it smokes. If there are any issues you could sand as described above.

Here’s a photo of a Peterson I just raised the floor on as it had been over reamed and the floor was considerably lower than the draft. I sanded it afterwards so that the draft met the floor, although I left the draft hole just a tad deeper than the floor. Smokes wonderfully.

FF3FDD40-12E1-42F0-9552-13429EE234B4.jpeg

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Ahhhhh, I see. Now it makes sense. Will have to have a look at that website, but not sure how it will be now the UK has left the EU (fucking idiots). Actually, I am going to Ireland in a few weeks for a wedding, going to be staying at my Uncle's house in Leitrim, could get one sent there. Now there's an idea, hmmmmmm!
the correct website should be www.smokingpipes.eu, which store is based in Ireland. should be the same company behind as the famous smokingpipes.com. Ireland is still EU as it is independent from the Britain. I guess that's why I can still have the goods sent to me without paying extra taxes. Go on take a look and you might find something you like. My experience is the price from certain manufacture such as Savinelli is sold in a lower price. I suppose cause they pay lower tax in Ireland? But some are expensiver. Although all the photos of the products are taken individually, but there still will be some important parts missing, such as mine. But other then the Irish seconds, the others wont have this problem. I also bought a Savinelli Impero from there, which is remarkably wonderful. Wish you luck with that.

Reactions: Corcoran-Rooney

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Completely up to you as to how you want to handle it. It's second for a reason. But if it bothers you, it will bother you every time you see this pipe. That won't be a right recipe for a relaxing smoke. On the other hand, if it doesn't bother you, it won't be a problem.

FrostForest

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
The draft hole was drilled lower than the floor of the chamber. The lower draft hole may present some issues with moisture collecting there and cause gurgling. Sanding the bottom of the chamber will lower it down a little bit so the draft is a little more even with the floor of the chamber.

There may be no issues the way it is. I’d smoke it and see how it smokes. If there are any issues you could sand as described above.

Here’s a photo of a Peterson I just raised the floor on as it had been over reamed and the floor was considerably lower than the draft. I sanded it afterwards so that the draft met the floor, although I left the draft hole just a tad deeper than the floor. Smokes wonderfully.
It is wonderful to know the save up plan for it and thanks for the photo, which get me a better look of the "normal" bent pipe inside and understanding of your idea. Surely I'll just smoke it first. And if there will be weird sound appear, I should take your technique. The result turns out to be fairly nice in your case.