PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’m working through a 5 year old tin of ABF so this is a timely and interesting review. Your experience is very similar to mine.

I get a nutty cocoa note well under the tobaccos, after completely rubbing out a flake and letting it dry for a bit. Fold and stuff is my usual flake approach but I had no luck with ABF.

I find I prefer HH Burley Flake to the Solani offering but both are enjoyable when in the mood for Burley.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Just a quick question: what would be considered the burleyiest of burleys? The quintessential burley blend?
My measuring stick is a Greek product which is great if a bit monochromatic. It's nutty, cigarish, has hints of cocoa. It is not a blend though, just pure, grown and hand processed burley.
This because ABF is actually topped with licorice. I also get a lot of molasses out of it and indeed the burley is fairly muted.
Thanks, the friend who gave the flake for me to try said he got the same, but most reviews (including @jiminks) talk about a chocolate topping so I have no reason to doubt it, in fact there's just a single review out of 215 which mentions liquorice.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My measuring stick is a Greek product which is great if a bit monochromatic. It's nutty, cigarish, has hints of cocoa. It is not a blend though, just pure, grown and hand processed burley.

Thanks, the friend who gave the flake for me to try said he got the same, but most reviews (including @jiminks) talk about a chocolate topping so I have no reason to doubt it, in fact there's just a single review out of 215 which mentions liquorice.
Is this widely available at tobacconist shops in Greece?and how much it will cost today?

Reactions: JOHN72

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Is this widely available at tobacconist shops in Greece?and how much it will cost today?
Hmm, I see now that the pipe tobacco is no longer listed at all in the company's website, but the single leaf pipe tobaccos are still available in some online shops, 100g for 23 euros. It's a great shame because I don't see their pipe blends anywhere, some of which were very good indeed. Anyway, offtopic.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

tzanet

Lurker
Jan 26, 2021
Kefalonia Island, Greece
No, they got it wrong. After smelling the tobacco in the tin, i suspected the topping. My though became stronger after a couple of smokes. So i did some research. Here is the link to the german administration for tobacco product ingredients. You will find some interesting things in here:

ABF is DISGUSTING! TERRIBLE! HORRENDOUS! KEEP AWAY FROM THIS STUFF!! BE WARNED!

It tastes like someone mucked out a pig sty and put it in tins! It burns your tongue and has been known to break up marriages! If your kids even get a whiff of it, they will become heroin addicts and die prematurely! It's been reported that the aroma from ABF will cause Rapid Onset Rabies in your pets and they will surely die a slow and painful death.....

So, IF YOU SMOKE Solani 656 Aged Burley Flake:
  • You will always SMELL like a pig farmer
  • You will PERMANENTLY lose your sense of TASTE and SMELL
  • You will be PENNILESS from a devastating DIVORCE and will be forced to live out your life in POVERTY
  • Your LINEAGE will cease to exist
  • You will have NO PETS
You guys should leave this blend to those who know how to properly handle it. Like me. puffy

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

It tastes like someone mucked out a pig sty and put it in tins! It burns your tongue and has been known to break up marriages! If your kids even get a whiff of it, they will become heroin addicts and die prematurely! It's been reported that the aroma from ABF will cause Rapid Onset Rabies in your pets and they will surely die a slow and painful death.....

• You will be PENNILESS from a devastating DIVORCE and will be forced to live out your life in POVERTY
  • You will have NO PETS
You guys should leave this blend to those who know how to properly handle it. Like me. puffy

I'm calling bullshit. I've been smoking it for months and none of that has happened, yet. Very disappointed! Should I fold and stuff maybe to get these desired results?

tzanet

Lurker
Jan 26, 2021
Kefalonia Island, Greece

• You will have NO PETS
This is why i smoke it constantly.:col:

• Haha
Reactions: sandollars

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
No, they got it wrong. After smelling the tobacco in the tin, i suspected the topping. My though became stronger after a couple of smokes. So i did some research. Here is the link to the german administration for tobacco product ingredients. You will find some interesting things in here:
Dangit now that I know it has a licorice casing I might not ever see it the same. ?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Just a quick question: what would be considered the burleyiest of burleys? The quintessential burley blend?
Probably the ABF, actually. Most Burley flakes have at least a tiny bit of VA or other leaf, like the MacBaren HH product (which is wonderful!), but ABF is 100% Burley leaf, I believe.

On the other hand, ABF does have that added flavoring, as do most of the others. If you're looking for one a bit more "natural," the C&D Burley Flakes are worth a try. Like, #1 and #3 both have a bit of added continental leaf, but their character is overwhelmingly straight Burley. They're also quite strong in terms of nicotine.

They're all pretty good choices, IMO. Just depends on your preferences and mood.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Let me see... ??☝️

In all honesty, my vote goes to Burley London Blend and possibly for some, original Edgeworth. Very nutty, creamy blends, natural cocoa.

Granger is my personal favorite burly, but I consider it an atypical Burley — Burley is known to develop cocoa notes, So Granger is not “the burliest of Burleys”

I get something else from granger. Less nuttiness and No cocoa.

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
10 min limit stopped me from addressing Solani....

I just smoked some fresh ABF a few days ago. I want to like this because according to almost everyone, everywhere... I should.

I don’t dislike it. It’s very mild. It just doesn’t click for me in flavor delivery. Try as I might, I just don’t taste much from it. I’ve folded and stuffed, rubbed it out, tried different pipes, tried Cobs. It’s very mild and pleasant but..

I had a smoke off. Two pipes. I finished the granger. The ABF was giving me relight issues and I left it to Smoke the following day.

But flavor-wise? Don’t hurt me.... Granger *AKRC was tastier.

*Aged Kentucky Rough Cut

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.