Solani Aged Burley Flake- any bulks that are comparable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
3 Fresh Werner Mummert Pipes
New Accessories
9 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Ardor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find it. This is such a nice tobacco, but it's on the pricey side. Can anyone recommend a comparable burley in bulk or tin?

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
If you haven't already you need to try MacBaren Old Dark Fired! It has a similar flavor profile and is less expensive.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
Never had the solani but I second the old dark fired recommendation, it's great stuff and not to pricey

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'll third the recommendation for HH Old Dark Fired, which I actually prefer to Aged Burley Flake. To me, the latter can be a bit harsh, even after years in the tin. While ODF is still very much a burley flake, with the nicotine "fullness" that goes along with that, I think it contains more Virginia, which helps to mellow things significantly without neutering the smoke.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
GH Brown Flake is a terrific blend. . . and, for me, smoother and more mellow than either the ABF or the ODF.
Bob

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Smoking some Brown Flake U/S right now. I had forgotten how good it is. Rather, I don't think I realized until now how good it is. I've always liked it, but I've come to appreciate how smooth and soft a smoke it is -- yet full flavored. There's a touch of chocolate brownie or cocoa to the flavor that is really nice.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I have to agree with RMBittner that ODF doesn't have a tendency to be harsh like ABf can be. Roth the OP was asking about ABF not Silver Flake, but I agree Silver Flake would be dissimilar to both ABF and ODF.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Just a clarification, does Aged Burley Flake have dark fired tobacco in it, or not? I've heard people say that it does, but the ingredients don't list it. Instead, it's said to contain:
dark brown Burley from Kentucky, light Burley from Brazil, and white Burley from Malawi (southeast Africa).
Sometimes "Kentucky" is used as shorthand for "dark fired Kentucky," but "dark brown Burley from Kentucky" ostensibly refers to actual burley, a ton of which is grown in Kentucky (and not "dark," which is a different plant).
If it doesn't have dark fired Kentucky or dark fired Virginia, African, etc., then I might like it better than I thought I would. I like dark fired, but it's not usually what I'm looking for when I'm looking for "burley."
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.