PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I use them... My teeth are a mess. I cut the button off of them first. I also use the balsa filters in my Savs.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm all for softie bits for folks who need them and/or like them. I just don't see why some need to justify their use. As useless as going on about tobaccos you don't like. (and that's the general "you", timt, not aimed anywhere.)

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I don't think discussing using softie bits as a way to protect our teeth is useless conversation. It's no different than anything else we talk about around here. For instance cleaning our pipes with alcohol or water - why defend either method?
Now I will say there is a proper way to go about doing this. I had no reason to be so insulting in my comment about the water method and I apologize for being a prick. I'll check that impulse in the future and keep in mind I'm still a novice in this arena.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I prefer to not use them, except for when l’m doing a project or yard work where I an clenching for a long period and am clenching tightly to not drop my pipe while moving around. I don’t like the size, but the BJ Long live rubber ones are super squishy and give a great secure purchase on the stem.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I only use them on falcon pipes as I find the bits incredibly hard and prone to slipping.
On artisan pipes I've paid for incredibly good stem work so I want to appreciate it so I don't use softy bits.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you, timt.
As to teeth, I am not sure I am damaging them by not using softie bits. Ironically, the one ragged tooth I have is a front tooth, in a location the pipe stem does not visit! And I hold the pipe with only enough pressure to keep it secure- no more.
And surely there are those who need them in order to protect their teeth, as mileage varies per usual. .

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Nope, I despise them!

I tried one on a Peterson pipe for a little while and couldn't get used to it, so removed it.

Upon removal, I noticed that the stem of my beloved pipe had oxidized, but only where the softy bit had been!

I don't really care for the aesthetics that they impart either.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I previously answered that I like the non-adhesive heatshrink tubing, but have been trying Npod's entertaining yet serious recommendation from a separate thread on something I didn't even know existed -- bondage tape. Yes, that kind of bondage. If you're the kind of clencher than deforms Vulcanite, a softy bit will be better, but for most folks, the bondage tape is fantastic. There are several advantages over the heatshrink tubing. It's very shiny black, so it looks really good on black stems. You can apply as much as you like, so it can extend further down the stem and you can give addition wraps if you want more protection. It's quite thin, so I use two or three winds around the stem.
The material gives you more grip in your teeth, so I find I'm not biting nearly as hard to get a firm, comfortable grip, so for me, I don't believe I need a lot of thickness. That also means it doesn't feel odd in my mouth. It stays in place without unraveling even though it lacks any adhesive, which of course is what makes it attractive for its designed purpose.
I got mine at Lover's Lane. It's a substantial quantity for about $12. Npod said he got his at Spencer Gifts. Since it's the same width as duct tape, I need to cut it lengthwise to wrap neatly and sometimes I get a little wrinkle or bubble, but I don't worry much about that. It's very flexible and can even conform to the profile of the button. By the way, it's flavorless.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
zoom.jpg
You can always try this.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"Upon removal, I noticed that the stem of my beloved pipe had oxidized, but only where the softy bit had been!"
I had the exact opposite happen. Exposed part oxidized except under the softy, Sorta like a bikini line.

leafsmoker

Can't Leave
Oct 26, 2017
Indiana, USA
The first time I used one, I hated the rubber taste.....Then I told myself ''do you want to really damage your teeth and possibly loose some?'' I am now so used to them that I can not detect the rubber taste anymore.I have small and large ones.They suit my needs.My Dad and Step Dad uses them now..

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Since I prefer to clench my pipes at least a little bit, I went ahead and added a couple to one of my past tobacco orders. I have since discontinued my use of them primarily because of the added thickness they add to the pipe bit. That, and they would trap moisture when they didn't fit tightly. I get the allure, they just didn't work out at well as I hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.