PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

frankrizzo

Lurker
Sep 8, 2018
Atlanta
Hey everyone-

I’d like to reach out to the collective knowledge of the forum members regarding a possible alternative to the oft criticized softy-bits. I tend to be a bit of a chewer when I clench, so in the past I relied on the rubber pieces to protect the stems/bits. Recently, I was re-wrapping my bicycle handlebar and discovered that the silicone “finishing tape” could make for a better alternate to the softy-bit. After a little trial and error, I’ve found the tape to be very comfortable for clenching while still offering the original feel of the bit. Before I commit all my pipes to this, I wanted to check with the community regarding any long term consequences to the stems. The tape doesn’t use adhesive, but could the silicone damage the vulcanite stems if left on for any length of time? I‘ve attached the amazon page of the product and one of my pipes for reference.

9D48B8C0-6714-4C87-BD63-76C049FC4067.png
A1083363-E1BD-4B24-8E58-68FF9C374B06.jpeg

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I like the Softy brand name bits, partly because they’re American made. I’ve had some of the others from China or elsewhere in Asia, but I’m dubious about their chemical composition and quality control, so I’m switching over any time I come across one of the old ones.
I’d be dubious in the same way about using the tape you have, especially if it’s a Chinese product.

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
The ones I got at smokingpipes are fine. I just don’t like them with my large artisan pipes. For my small unfinished Savinellis they are fine ! I’m not big on clenching regularly anyway. Not good for jaw. I don’t detect any rubber taste.

VDL_Piper

Lifer
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
Hey everyone-

I’d like to reach out to the collective knowledge of the forum members regarding a possible alternative to the oft criticized softy-bits. I tend to be a bit of a chewer when I clench, so in the past I relied on the rubber pieces to protect the stems/bits. Recently, I was re-wrapping my bicycle handlebar and discovered that the silicone “finishing tape” could make for a better alternate to the softy-bit. After a little trial and error, I’ve found the tape to be very comfortable for clenching while still offering the original feel of the bit. Before I commit all my pipes to this, I wanted to check with the community regarding any long term consequences to the stems. The tape doesn’t use adhesive, but could the silicone damage the vulcanite stems if left on for any length of time? I‘ve attached the amazon page of the product and one of my pipes for reference.

View attachment 36734
View attachment 36735
The silicone tape mentioned here is also a great way to seal Gawith tins and all tins against seal failure too. I use it on all my tins.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
The tubing they use on water softeners etc. Another user, and a youtuber or two, mentioned vinyl tubing as an alternative to pipe bits. I've found 3/8" and 1/2" cover a large range of pipe stem sizes (inner diameter tubing specs). Less expensive and more durable, though it requires a little more effort to modify for use. Flashing a lighter 2-3 times underneath it warms it up enough to slip over the lip. Can be found in black, clear, and possibly other colors. Watch for thickness of tubing as well, because it can be thinner or thicker variety. I've found the best luck is buying by the foot at your local hardware store rather than buying a giant coil of it at Home Depot for $8+. I paid $.59 for a foot of clear 1/2", and that should make for around 12 stems (an inch is just about perfect for a bit). I personally prefer the tooth feel over rubber as well. A little resistance, so you aren't totally giving up on the feel of the actual stem. And flavorless