PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
A very trustworthy and experienced German pipe seller once told me he gave the mortises of his stummels a sodium silicate treating.
According to him it helped a lot to keep them clean and made possible cleaning easy-peasy.
Never heard of this practice before, but it somehow makes sense . Or does it not ?
Thoughts ? Opinions ? Emotions ?
Please share.

Reactions: JOHN72
Dec 10, 2013
makes sense. However feels like solving a problem that isn't worth solving.
I catch your drift, but I'm not really sure it is a solution to a non-existing problem..
It is more of a "preventive care ".
Cleaning a dirty mortise can be a pain, a proper cleaning sometimes also alters the fit of the tenon.
Could a waterglass treatment ( when applied in layers ) make a loose tenon fit ?

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I catch your drift, but I'm not really sure it is a solution to a non-existing problem..
It is more of a "preventive care ".
Cleaning a dirty mortise can be a pain, a proper cleaning sometimes also alters the fit of the tenon.
Could a waterglass treatment ( when applied in layers ) make a loose tenon fit ?
if you spend a few seconds swabbing out the mortise it won't get bad. I do it every second or third smoke depending on the pipe. A few don't get too bad (my Rattrays seems to have a magical protection against nasty shank).

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
All I meant was the carver has an idea that he will not let go of that virtually no one else does.

I think some of the confusion comes from there being no mention of a carver; the initial post talks about a pipe seller using the sodium silicate coating in the mortise of pipes.

I imagine the glass-like coating might facilitate easier wiping of tars.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The mortise? I've seen guys treat a mortise with cyanoacrylate, but sodium silicate/waterglass I've never heard of. It's used as a chamber-coating ingredient pretty frequently, so maybe someone has carried it further....

Reactions: MattRVA
Dec 10, 2013
How is coating the mortise with an abrasive-like substance make it any easier to clean than just leaving polished wood? I don't follow the logic.
Yes, this stuff burns your skin off. Yet the professionals celebrate it for its heat insulating capacities, hence the activated charcoal and waterglass chamber coatings etc. I so far did not feel much attracted to either.
However, I suppose waterglass dries to a glass hard, micron thin ,
inert and tasteless layer that might help cleaning out the mortise more easily. Unlike bare wood this is smooth and will not absorb dirt . Maybe it works for tightening a loose tenon, which is often about microns ?
A stem can lock up for many reasons ; dirt, shrinking of the briar etc.
Will probably try this on a crappy pipe.
The gent who suggested this is a reknown German pipe seller and restorer.
His work is top-notch.
Thank you all for partaking in discussing this odd topic.