So, Was The Pipe Tool Fake Or Not? The Past Week's Suspense Has Been Insane!

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
I bet that at this point, a Czech tool—a genuine one—can be made anywhere, just like French Toast, Canadian Bacon, a Hungarian pipe, and a bunch of other stuff are made and used world wide. In other words, it's the description of the item, not provenance.

Still, I'd pay a bit more for the original item. (Such as 50 cents, maybe a buck!)

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Last year when I ordered some clay pipes, which were drop-shipped from Germany, they included a little bonus in the package. The note said it dated from the 1920s, and it might be a predecessor of the Czech tool. It appears to be an aluminum casting to make up the tamper part, but only had a single pivoted part, the poker. It had no spoon/scraper. It is a very nice piece of work in fit and finish.

workman

Preferred Member
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Last year when I ordered some clay pipes, which were drop-shipped from Germany, they included a little bonus in the package. The note said it dated from the 1920s, and it might be a predecessor of the Czech tool. It appears to be an aluminum casting to make up the tamper part, but only had a single pivoted part, the poker. It had no spoon/scraper. It is a very nice piece of work in fit and finish.
Definitely fake!