PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamSeva

Lurker
Jul 18, 2021
As a cigar smoker I never saw “plume” that didn’t look like mold to me. I’ve passed it off as a myth all this time.
Yesterday I bought some cabbie’s mixture from my B&M. Cracked it open and was severely disappointed: MOLD!
I closed it and went about my day. I suddenly thought to myself “the tin smelled quite nice and mold doesn’t grow like that. Wtf is that then?”
I grabbed a flashlight and a magnifying glass and what I saw was tiny little reflective crystals. Holy of holy this is what plume is! Immediately set out and loaded a bowl.
I’m still not convinced plume happens on Cigars. I’ve been selling cigars for awhile now and never come across anything close to what I’m seeing on these little tobacco coins.
Now, the meat of my question. I want to know how old this tin is but I don’t understand Gawith’s dating codes even after reading these two pages:
Smoking pipes article
Original Reddit post

who can explain it better than they can?
The tin has 01 280 on it

thanks

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Since I don't care about what day it was made, I ignore the first two digits. The second set of numbers is the number of months past 1995. You can diddle with the extra month to account for the December start, but who cares? 280/12 equals 23.3333333333333333333333 years. I'd call it somewhere in the neighborhood of April 2018, the third of the year being four months.

I stand bold, fearless, and fully erect waiting to be corrected.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I’ve received several orders of 500g boxes of various Gawith Flakes that came with plume/crystals. Being that the 500g boxes aren't vacuumed sealed, and there still is plume, it's always left me wondering how these flakes were apparently aged regardless of not being tinned. So, regarding GH flakes, does the tin date give the true age? Is there another reason besides age that accounts for plume? Surely there's an expert here who could explain.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Jars aren't vacuum sealed and I've seen plume develop in just a few months.
So you're saying age isn't the main reason GH flakes develop plume. I've never received any other tobacco already containing plume, especially unsealed, un-aged tobacco.

I need answers!!! :sher:

RamSeva

Lurker
Jul 18, 2021
Since I don't care about what day it was made, I ignore the first two digits. The second set of numbers is the number of months past 1995. You can diddle with the extra month to account for the December start, but who cares? 280/12 equals 23.3333333333333333333333 years. I'd call it somewhere in the neighborhood of April 2018, the third of the year being four months.

I stand bold, fearless, and fully erect waiting to be corrected.
Okay. That makes sense… kind of haha. I don’t know why they would do it this way but it reminds me of how they date egg cartons —by the day of the year it was packaged (today is 206).
thanks!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My secret Santa sent me a tin of nicely aged Stonehenge that looked like the inside of a geode. There is definitely some crystallization that takes place under the right conditions. Not sure exactly what those crystals are though.

Reactions: RamSeva

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Look, people say that plume is in fact mold. With that being said some of the best tins of tobacco that I’ve smoked were dusted with shiny crystals. The last one was a tin of Kajun Kake from C&D and it was sublime.

On a side note, I have no idea why Kajun Kake is never talked about. Such a great blend!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the one time I got plume makes me wonder if it's less tobacco and more topping or casing. I know some styles of snuff are brined and those will form crystals pretty easily. Maybe the pipe tobaccos that get crystals are brined. Certainly seem plausible and also seems like older style tobaccos have a better chance of being brined to preserve them against mold.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
First tin of Bengal Slice I had was full of sugar crystals. That thing was awesome. Either that or I smoked mold infested tin that tasted like a dream.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Nope, age has everything to do it but it doesn't have to be in vacuum sealed container. It's aerobic bacteria affecting the tobacco in a sealed micro environment.

View attachment 89677

When I think of aging and the resulting "plumage", I guess I've always thought in terms of years and assume the original poster was too, considering he was wanting the date of his tin. Can't imagine these boxes of zip-locked flake are sitting for years prior to shipping. I know their stuff is wet, but....

Reactions: RamSeva
Status
Not open for further replies.