PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Thanks Ahi Ka. I enjoyed your review and nice story. Tambo is good stuff. Definitely in the "puts hair on your chest" category. Too strong for me to smoke a bowl straight, but what an incredible deep black tea flavor with just an edge of smoke. 1/4 or so of a bowl is as much as I can handle before the telltale signs begin that say "You better put that pipe down. Now." Mixes well with codger burleys. Too bad availability dried up.

If you've got a log of the stuff, as saltedplug says, prep is unlike any plug you've ever fiddled with...

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I have to wonder how consistent this stuff is. I was given a sample from a fellow piper on another forum. It came in broken up chunks that resembled tan bark and seemed just as dry. He told me this was normal.

I could only take it 2 sips at a time and by mid bowl, I felt like I was going to halucinate. I love Burley and have smoked a lot of the strings blends without any issue, but this stuff put me down. No sickness, just seeing stars in the middle of the day.

I’ve thought of trying to source some myself in the giant rope form and experimenting with it out of curiosity, but it just tasted like dirt to me.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My friend sliced some of the log/rope that he had just steamed, so the cut was completely to do with him. I wonder if your sample had been steamed or just hacksawed/dropped on the floor, and whether the extra steam processing makes a difference?

From smoking homegrown lately I have come to appreciate the massive difference in flavour a cut can yield. Like larger or longer pieces of tobacco burn in a way that grant more of a cigar vibe. If all slicing is done by the consumer, it could also explain some of the differences in flavour.

I think it’s processed in Indonesia in a similar manner to perique - atleast the insides of the ropes - so that the tobacco is so tightly wound (in a “perique”) that the fermentation happens without exposure to oxygen. I have a mate who is allergic to the chemical/enzyme in perique and who can’t smoke it. Some people are more sensitive (in a good way) to the way perique metabolises the absorption of the nicotine content in other leaf, another reason I put tambo in the bur/per category and not just the super strong burley family.

I have since had another bowl in a larger cob and it was a way different experience. I wasn’t as cautious so I didn’t pick up the same nuances as the first time. Also the first half of the smoke had a strong vegetal thing going on, almost what I would imagine nightshade to taste like - you know the smell of wet tomato plants after watering/rain? It was still pleasant, but if this had been my first bowl I probably wouldn’t have rushed to try another so quickly

Reactions: ebnash
Status
Not open for further replies.