PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
...and I’m still alive! ?

My peepee didn’t fall off, and my teeth didn’t fall out.

I did however get a post removed from another forum for being inappropriate content...so maybe this is the root cause for the vile and strange comments from @condorlover1 ??

The sample I tried came from a roll which had been cellared a decade ago. My friend steamed and sliced some off for me. It was crispy dry, and the cut resembled home grown scraps - mainly thick bits of ribbon in assorted lengths.

To be clear, apart from knowing Tambo was strong and let’s say “different”, I really had no idea what to expect. I hadn’t read any reviews, or looked to far into how the processing technique might allow for a unique flavour profile.

The bag note was very familiar. It almost had this banyard smell about it. I opened a jar of fresh SJ Perique that I had dried out of case for storage and the silage note was identical, albeit the perique being stronger smelling and also having a dehydrated plum sweetness about it.

...As an aside for home blenders, this perique came from WLT, and was sliced, dried and jarred 6months ago. It has taken until now for me to be able to smell anything other than the beautiful bouquet of rotting grass and horse shit...

I loaded my small clay cutty and away we went. From the first sip, I recognised this as a beast similar to some of the darker products from the Gawith houses. It had both the body and, more importantly smoothness of say GH dark flake.

On the second sip I felt the nicotine. Not in an overwhelming way at all, but I noticed her enough to be content to take this very slow. All up my bowl lasted for 2hours. As I would happily take a few sips, and then put the pipe down while working on stems and emailing.

To be honest, I actually found this blend to be a ‘lighter smoke’ than GH dark flake scented because of its strength. With DFS, I’ll happily load up my cob and get on with pruning in the orchard only to her sneak up on me. Since I was conscious of Tambo’s strength, I was to accomodate it.

Flavour wise, it is to die for. I predominantly smoke burley forward blends. If I had no idea what I was smoking, I would have guessed the genre to have been a bur/per blend. I would have assumed there to have been a large amount of Kentucky leaf too, although not necessarily dark fired.

The majority of the smoke was a rich earthiness, and the savoury/sourness (I want to use the Spanish term “amargo”) of slow drip coffee. Towards the end of the bowl, I started to get the sweetness of licorice tea.

All up, if you are a burley man. Head down to Florida and raid some of simon’s stash

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ahhhh, it's on my bucket list. I really would love to try some of those South American ropes. Sounds like my kinda smoke.

did however get a post removed from another forum for being inappropriate content...
Wait, you guys cheat on this forum by using another one also? WTF... and how do you guys have that much time?

Gracias amigo
That sounds like another language. How do I know you're not making fun of me? There's a new forum rule, you know. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tam is strong and to be treated with respect, so you were wise to choose a smaller bowl. But it is nuanced and interesting, not just a kick in the ass. I bought an ounce or two when 4noggins had it, and I smoked it up fairly fast, though not all at once. I'm a burley guy, so that probably biased the case for me, glad I had the experience but not scouting for more. For regular rotation, I like Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Stratfordshire and such.

Yeah I’m pretty keen to try the SA ropes now. Have you thought of growing some of the seeds and reproducing something in a similar vein yourself @cosmicfolklore

Sometimes I go to another forum when I feel the need to not use capitals in my thread titles. ;)
That's ok, I sometimes visit the French forum to make fun of you guys in French.

I would be interested in growing my own, but I think it would probably be best to try some first, to get an idea of where I want that boat to go.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I prepared Tambolaka, I refused to steam it before cutting. I hadn't had to steam any other tobacco, and I wasn't going to start.

You know how hard it comes. When it wouldn't yield, I increased the pressure, but then it did and skittered over the kitchen floor: no problem. I went all around the kitchen floor and picked it up and triumphantly returned to the cutting board.

Status
Not open for further replies.