PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Just saw this thread for the first time a few minutes ago, Dave. When I saw the oddly carved lines on the bowl I thought, "Looks like a Mastersen design."
After reading your latest post it's a pretty safe bet this burner was made by the Shalom Pipe Factory which, in turn, made the following brands: Alpha, Andersen, Burl King, Fader, Goliath Briar, Krisson, Mastersen and Trophy. (info from Pipedia.)
I am curious about one thing though. What made you decide to pull the trigger on this Oom Paul over all the others you've seen since first picking up a pipe?
Fnord

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Certain pipes will speak to you. Some shapes I like and some I don't. I'm not a fan of Calabash pipes but maybe some day I'll own one. It's hard to say. I'm not a big fan of Oom Pauls either, but I do like some of them. Here is one that I have. I like it and its a great smoking pipe.
Wally Frank Oom Paul:

WallyFrank2_zps2f21b706.jpg

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Very nice pipe !!
I have an Oom Paul meer that my wife picked out and gave to me one Christmas many years ago. Only one that I have but I do enjoy schmoking Latakia in it.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
it was made in Israel and has some Hebrew stamped on the side
I thought it looked a little familiar. I have an Israeli made pipe in the shape of an ancient urn... it has the same lines running through it to make it look like cracked pottery.
That is an impressive pipe. Looks like a good smoker and a good self-defense piece! Hope you enjoy it!!

Reactions: Pipemanlnf513

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Metalhead
Love that pipe! the shape, the polish, the bend. Everything about it. My absolute favorite shape and finish.
Hope that it will give you many years of smoking pleasure.
Allan

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I actually don't know why they made the lines on it, it is a nice piece of briar and I would have left it smooth, but anyway, I liked it because of the high wall in between the bowl and shank. Also it is actually a small pipe. The pipe itself is only 4.5 inches high, but the bowl is 2 inches deep. I like the full bend of the stem, and that the stem is lucite. It looks like something I envision a hobbit smoking, or Tolkien himself. It has a nice even shape, but with all pipes that I like it is hard to put my finger on why this one. I am generally drawn of course to a nice straight grain or birdseye, but sometimes the grain doesn't really matter, the pipe just calls to you. I love pipes of course and have a general problem with PAD, I buy and sell a lot, but actually rarely buy for myself, either because I have expensive taste and most of the pipes I really want I could never buy, or because I like what I like and I don't just want any pipe. Especially now that I make pipes and cut my own stems, I tend to only buy real craftsmanship, and I could see that in this pipe.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Definitely one of the most comfortable pipe to hold in your mouth because of the deep bend. And another benefit is that the smoke rising up from the chamber makes the aroma even more enjoyable.

Here is a photo of a Castello Occhio that I enjoy.

IMG_2331.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.