PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
As for the lighter I use to light my pipe, these are perfect and cost about as much as a Bic. Just take the horrible plastic wrap off and cover it in leather - hey presto a very nice lighter to hold and as good as any pipe lighter you care to mention. Maybe good's the wrong word, but certainly just as efficient.
2a9v01u.png

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If you have ever had a fluid using lighter open and leaking in your pocket, you will notice it. Particularly in a hip pocket. The burning sensation of the fluid on the skin simply can't be ignored, it's cold and odoriferous.
I chose to disbelieve the tale of an explosion. A flareup? Sure, that can happen when the manufacturer's instructions are ignored. Always let the spillover evaporate before lighting. Should go without saying but, people need to be warned in writing to not use an electric hairdryer while bathing or, not to pull a plastic bag over their head. But, such is why we have those "Darwin Awards."

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I've had an over-filled Zippo leak fluid in my pocket. I thought I had just an itch going on, but it was the burn from the lighter fluid. The discomfort lasted for days. Lesson learned.

Jan 8, 2013
I have never, in all my life, heard of a Zippo exploding, sending off shrapnel, and blowing off someone's fingers. I've used them all my life without any serious issues. But, I do like to play music, and my fingers are very important to me, so I'm throwing them all away right now in favor of a Chinese knock off of a Zippo. Seems like a safer decision :mrgreen:

• Haha

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have also felt the pain from zippo lighter fluid on my thigh. It's very unpleasant.

I think this guy must have had a lighter AND a can of fluid in his waterproof raincoat pocket.

Or more likely it was a defect BUTANE lighter that blew up in his pocket. Because that can actually happen, although it rarely does.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
If, in fact, an explosion did occur and there were injuries as described, something other than a lighter was involved. The lighter story is a coverup for something more serious/nefarious going on in the vehicle. And more obviously, adult supervision was obviously required and not in place.

Reactions: oldtoby

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Possibly if the Zippo was filled with butane? Even so, an explosion in the tank would not likely be powerful enough to create shrapnel, or even breach the casing.
Leaf: ANY documentation- such as a lawsuit or medical reports?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
My friend had a zippo in his pocket and did not know the lid was open.Having fluid all over the lighter and did not know, lit it and BOOM!! Blew off 3 fingers and metal shards flew and hit and protruded through my other friends neck, who was sitting in the front seat while garret was in the back seat with 3 less fingers.
I'm calling bullshit on that one. Sorry. That would be similar to trying to get kerosene to explode. Try filling a pan up with gasoline or even jet fuel and get it to explode. It will burn but not explode. Explosions with flammable materials tend to explode when there are vapors in an enclosed area. Propane and butane would be a different story but lighter fluid in your pocket?

joecobb

Lurker
Jan 5, 2019
Norway
It was not a lot of modifying at all, took me less than 10 minutes. And I am far from hard on my lighters, I even carried it in a belt pouch.
I did mind the taste/smell of fluid when I was smoking cigarettes, but to be honest, with pipes I´ve only noticed it 5-6 times and it goes away in a few puffs.
As for a Zippo blowing up? Doubt it, unless it was a bomb to begin with.
This is the Star lighter. Even comes in a metal box.
https://www.teknikmagasinet.no/produkter/helse-fritid/outdoor-fritid/kniver-verktoy-lightere/lighter-star-matt-krom
ncsc005b.png

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
When there are acceptable alternatives, I'd buy nothing with "Made in China" on it. Strictly a personal preference and one not likely to change.
I'm only guessing here but, the "leafsmoker" may be taking a hiatus from posting until the "smoke" dies down. Little doe he know about the long memories of some of our members. But, I for one happily, even eagerly, await his return. Perhaps he is on a search for his "friend's" missing fingers.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
This is the Star lighter. Even comes in a metal box.
Over here in the UK these knock-offs can be had everywhere - and I must say for much less that 8 bucks. They're not always Star lighters, but then I don't think Star have the monopoly on Zippo knock-offs. I once bought a cardboard tray-full of Zippo-style lighters from a market trader for £10 ($13.00) - he must have had a bad day and wanted to end on a sale. The tray held 12 of these lighters and none of them had any kind of maker's stamp on the bottom.
There's no way I'd be paying 8 buck for a knock-off Zippo. Not when you can get the real thing from Walmart for only $2 more.
All these have been customised/distressed since buying them. They came with various sticker designs which I soaked off.
10nb0v5.png

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Anthony, you & Warren are jes' a mess. -evyl grin-
I honestly do hope leafsmoker didn't split on any of my account. Seems an interesting guy & I'd like to see more of him. :)
In a related vein (jugular, femoral, take your pic) my new Zippo & presumably Thunderbird insert came today. Don't know both for sure since I haven't unpacked the box yet. I'm hoping, though, since I was looking forward to taking them with me on Saturday. If just the Zip, though, I won't. Even in checked bags I wouldn't even *think* of packing fluid-fluid on a plane. Outside of just not liking the stuff generally, I want to make sure I actually have clothes to wear when I open the suitcase. :)
B

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Wonder where China got that design?

Lighter fluid burn in the pocket? Not as bad as gas splashed on the front of your pants.

Do either one once & most learn how to do it right the next time.

Nothing can compete with a Zippo.

But I am happy you are happy with your new lighter and hope it serves you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.