So far... a good day! (Repaired a Crack in Shank)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Well after going the night at work without a smoke due to my stupidity I came home this morning to figure out a fix for my pipe. I checked it over and did find a thin crack at the end of the shank. What to do? Whatever it couldn't make it worse and being it's a drug store pipe I pulled out the superglue and place a small drop just inside the shank lip and slowly turned it till there was a thin coating all around the end of the lip. Let that set up a few minutes and repeated. After I let it dried a bit I tried inserting the stem. Tight fit but it worked. No more wiggle or partial pull out. Took it apart and back in. Still tight. I'm sure this is a temp fix, but until I acquire more pipes this will have to do. And speaking of more pipes my ebay win came in as I was finishing up the fix. An old Doc Grabow Viscount. Yea nothing fancy, but neither am I. Smaller than I would have thought, but got a good 40 minute smoke in.
Edit: Great post! Moved to Pipe Repair & Maintenance,L

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
You might be surprised at how long that super glue repair will last. Take yourself a pencil and use it on the

stem to help with the tight fit. It helps out a lot with a stem that's a bit to tight. I learned that trick

on a youtube video and it works great.

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
I tried the superglue on a cracked shank but I was trying to glue a chunk of briar back.

I applied a thin smear of glue on all faces, clamped it and let it set for a few days.

It popped loose.

I tried again and clamped it for a Month. It again popped loose.

I gave up.

I'd given it my best try, so it will now always be a broken pipe.

Banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.