So far... a good day! (Repaired a Crack in Shank)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyb

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2012
Well after going the night at work without a smoke due to my stupidity I came home this morning to figure out a fix for my pipe. I checked it over and did find a thin crack at the end of the shank. What to do? Whatever it couldn't make it worse and being it's a drug store pipe I pulled out the superglue and place a small drop just inside the shank lip and slowly turned it till there was a thin coating all around the end of the lip. Let that set up a few minutes and repeated. After I let it dried a bit I tried inserting the stem. Tight fit but it worked. No more wiggle or partial pull out. Took it apart and back in. Still tight. I'm sure this is a temp fix, but until I acquire more pipes this will have to do. And speaking of more pipes my ebay win came in as I was finishing up the fix. An old Doc Grabow Viscount. Yea nothing fancy, but neither am I. Smaller than I would have thought, but got a good 40 minute smoke in.
Edit: Great post! Moved to Pipe Repair & Maintenance,L

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
You might be surprised at how long that super glue repair will last. Take yourself a pencil and use it on the

stem to help with the tight fit. It helps out a lot with a stem that's a bit to tight. I learned that trick

on a youtube video and it works great.

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
I tried the superglue on a cracked shank but I was trying to glue a chunk of briar back.

I applied a thin smear of glue on all faces, clamped it and let it set for a few days.

It popped loose.

I tried again and clamped it for a Month. It again popped loose.

I gave up.

I'd given it my best try, so it will now always be a broken pipe.

Banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.