PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Nope I left it sealed. Escudo is a good choice with the screw lid. The problem with the square tin is once it gets hot it wants to lose the seal. I wrapped it in foil hoping that would help but I may have handled it too warm or unwrapped it too early.

I’m not positive you could smoke it right away. It sort of made it “sweat” and the tobacco was very moist.

I did 190 because our oven is very accurate. If you have an electric oven or one that’s less accurate I might go 180.

I am waiting 2-3 weeks because I believe it will ferment a bit more or have some type of anaerobic response.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Why wait? It may be best warm out of the oven. Those bready notes, ya know

I'm going to stove something right now. Do you crack the lid? I'm thinking Escudo.

Likewise. I work nights, we're dead in the water right now, I'm sitting about 8' from the stove working on homework for the foreseeable future, so I'm going to make the house smell like tobacco.

I didn't even know you could do this. Not that I'm experienced enough to be able to taste any differences; but I'm going to give it a whirl, regardless.

@BROBS - any preference to 190F vs. the 220 at 220 method? I'm thinking about throwing a jar of the C&D CRFwP and a jar of SPC PP SR in there. About half a tin of each in a mason jar with aluminum foil on top since I've already cracked the tins...

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Likewise. I work nights, we're dead in the water right now, I'm sitting about 8' from the stove working on homework for the foreseeable future, so I'm going to make the house smell like tobacco.

I didn't even know you could do this. Not that I'm experienced enough to be able to taste any differences; but I'm going to give it a whirl, regardless.

@BROBS - any preference to 190F vs. the 220 at 220 method? I'm thinking about throwing a jar of the C&D CRFwP and a jar of SPC PP SR in there. About half a tin of each in a mason jar with aluminum foil on top since I've already cracked the tins...
I just didn’t want it to get too hot so I went 190 for 3 hours. No real method to the madness. I didnt want to get it so hot it lost its microbes and shit. ?

it might evaporate off the topping on the plum pudding. Not sure.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I just didn’t want it to get too hot so I went 190 for 3 hours. No real method to the madness. I didnt want to get it so hot it lost its microbes and shit. ?

it might evaporate off the topping on the plum pudding. Not sure.

I didn't know how scientific you'd gotten with it. I know when I used to age homemade whisk...., ahem - beer, with oak, there were different flavor profiles that would be expressed depending on the temperature at which I'd toasted the oak. I didn't know if there was a similar methodology with tobacco.

I'm willing to roll the dice on the plum pudding. I still can't really tell much about it, anyways. I've got a few more tins of it up in Alaska so I'll experiment with this one and see what happens. I might kick myself later if they stop making it and my palate reaches a state where I can make sense of @jiminks incredible reviews. But, for now, the only way I'm tasting grass/hay is if they're cutting the field beside me while I'm smoking, so: caution, meet wind.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I decided on OGS. I've only smoked 1 tin of it a couple years back. I enjoyed it and stashed some tins away. Feels like spring is right around the corner here last couple days so Golden Slices sounded pretty good. Hopefully it'll turn out to be the Golden version of McClelland's Red and Black.
20200414_200828.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I decided on OGS. I've only smoked 1 tin of it a couple years back. I enjoyed it and stashed some tins away. Feels like spring is right around the corner here last couple days so Golden Slices sounded pretty good. Hopefully it'll turn out to be the Golden version of McClelland's Red and Black.
View attachment 26551
I thought about that one too. Curious to see the results!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Personally yeah I’d leave it all as is. I even was hoping to leave mine in the sealed tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.