PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
He certainly loves his durian
Unfortunately he’s in an aged care home and we don’t want him to be kicked out because someone has smuggled durian in for him 😁
Aged Care homes and nursing homes are the leading cause of death in older people.

As for doctors...
I had a colonoscopy in September. Went in to a pre-op meeting and the nurse asked if I smoked cigarettes. I honestly answered that I have never smoked cigarettes. Then she asked my if I smoked cigars and how often. I told her I only smoked maybe four or five cigars a year but I hadn't had one in four months.

She didn't ask about pipes and I didn't feel it was my job to tell her.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
If I were in your shoes, I'd slam a fuck tonne of fruits and vegetables, eat nothing but lean white meats and fish, lentils and beans, some sweet potatoes maybe and cook it all with extra virgin olive oil, get your few big glasses of water in everyday and excersise for 45min-1 hour daily. Try to get a good nights sleep every night. Under this regime I'd keep smoking my pipe and tell the doctor to go f""" himself.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Unless you were dragged kicking and screaming into your medico's office, your health is his business.

If you aren't willing to follow healthy advise simply tell your professional. Mine never brings up any of my bad habits any more.

Not wanting to hear or follow good advice is your choice. No sense "killing the messenger." You or your neighbors are paying for the advice. Follow or ignore as you see fit.

My take on some of the replies here is that some of you are tired of the consequences of your choice. Comes with the territory I'm afraid. So, fill a bowl and kick back, revel in your poor, selfish choice and quit letting them get your panties in a bunch. Those of us with good genes will, most likely, barring an accident, live longer than those of you from a weaker gene pool.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
All docs always want you to quit everything fun, even if you're in peak physical shape and exercise moderation. Fuddy duddies, the lot of them.

Does remind me of this though... however the one line is a bit dated now: "they're cheap, which is good because insurance won't pay for them..."

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Unless you were dragged kicking and screaming into your medico's office, your health is his business.

If you aren't willing to follow healthy advise simply tell your professional. Mine never brings up any of my bad habits any more.

Not wanting to hear or follow good advice is your choice. No sense "killing the messenger." You or your neighbors are paying for the advice. Follow or ignore as you see fit.

My take on some of the replies here is that some of you are tired of the consequences of your choice. Comes with the territory I'm afraid. So, fill a bowl and kick back, revel in your poor, selfish choice and quit letting them get your panties in a bunch. Those of us with good genes will, most likely, barring an accident, live longer than those of you from a weaker gene pool.
You are correct to a certain degree, with the genes. However, an overall healthy lifestyle can't be overlooked to help you ride out the storm a little longer. Nutrition and excersise can help mitigate the negative effects of smoking, in my opinion!

On top of that, smoking a bowl or 2 a day compared to never taking the pipe out of your mouth, will surely make a difference. Moderation and all.

Truth is though, everyday is Russian roulette for all of us, smokers and non smokers alike! Just enjoy everyday to the fullest and don't spend more time worrying than you have to!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

Genetic is a funny thing. It can go both ways. Being a diabetic, there are things that I have very little control over that's just going to hell even with best medicines. Then there's my lung which should be in one hell of a situation, but functioning without an issue so far. Lately, I have been in company of few dying people. All of them in the end, couldn't breath. Their brains were gone long before their breathing capability. So I guess that means, I'll be brain dead long before my body will know what to do with functioning organs. Other than smoking, I think my bagpipes playing might have something to do with the lungs condition. How much exposure to fungus, germs and what not can help with immunity or deadly conditions? I know the inside of those leather bags were just simply nasty.

G

Gimlet

If I were in your shoes, I'd slam a fuck tonne of fruits and vegetables, eat nothing but lean white meats and fish, lentils and beans, some sweet potatoes maybe and cook it all with extra virgin olive oil, get your few big glasses of water in everyday and excersise for 45min-1 hour daily. Try to get a good nights sleep every night. Under this regime I'd keep smoking my pipe and tell the doctor to go f""" himself.
That's more or less how I live. Except the sweet potatoes as I don't eat high carbs or sugar (sweet potato is quite high in both). My father died from renal failure brought on by type 2 diabetes and it was an awful thing to witness. Consequently I'm very conscious of diet and blood sugar. I stopped eating all processed food about a year ago as well and that had an almost miraculous effect on cellular inflammation. A number of complaints that had plagued me for years disappeared almost overnight.
I probably get more exercise than one hour a day and I get paid for it as it's my job to run up and down ladders.

Still working on the good night's sleep bit. I've inherited a night owl tendency from my Dad and I'm terrible at getting myself to bed on time.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Aged Care homes and nursing homes are the leading cause of death in older people.

As for doctors...
I had a colonoscopy in September. Went in to a pre-op meeting and the nurse asked if I smoked cigarettes. I honestly answered that I have never smoked cigarettes. Then she asked my if I smoked cigars and how often. I told her I only smoked maybe four or five cigars a year but I hadn't had one in four months.

She didn't ask about pipes and I didn't feel it was my job to tell her.
To clarify this, I should mention that I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes twenty years ago. That resulted in a drastic change in what I eat and drink. I see my doctor at least twice a year and he knows how often I smoke my pipe. He has not told me I have to quit my pipe or cigar smoking. He has also said having one or two alcoholic drinks is ok as long as I remember that the alcohol could lower my blood sugar.

My flippant comment about not mentioning pipe smoking during the pre-op meeting was simply because the nurse could have just read my file on the computer since her office is a part of the same health care system as is my doc. I hate having to keep providing the same answers to the same questions every time I see a doctor in the system.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A --- You can re-live the best ten days of your life.

B --- You can live 10,000 years in a single, inescapable closed room that's absolutely featureless. Every second of it in absolutely perfect health. The healthiest human who has ever existed.

There is no "C"

You have ten seconds to decide.

Ready, go.

(If you do NOT choose you will be dropped into a swimming pool of sulphuric acid.)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My Dad last week - 101st B’day
Cigarette smoker (30-40/day) until heart attack at 62yo.
Stopped smoking, took up walking 1hour every day - rain or shine until arthritis stopped him when he was 90yo
I joke he’s alive only because of the handful of medications he’s taking every day

View attachment 260180
Many doctors have said a person is either going to get or not get cancer of the lungs period but smoking cigarettes makes it happen a heck of a lot sooner. Or it's genetic if you will get cancer but you shift the time line by multiple decades. To me it's all what's worth more to you the risk or the smoking.
Oh and walking even less then one hour a day is a massive boon to health.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A --- You can re-live the best ten days of your life.

B --- You can live 10,000 years in a single, inescapable closed room that's absolutely featureless. Every second of it in absolutely perfect health. The healthiest human who has ever existed.

There is no "C"

You have ten seconds to decide.

Ready, go.

(If you do NOT choose you will be dropped into a swimming pool of sulphuric acid.)
B because if you're healthy something is obviously stimulating you. I assume it's got pipes tobacco and comely lasses and a few great books. You can't be perfectly healthy without mental stimulation and social interactions.
But that's not what you're asking but don't blame me for the loopholes as I didn't make them just found them.

Reactions: bullet08

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
B because if you're healthy something is obviously stimulating you. I assume it's got pipes tobacco and comely lasses and a few great books. You can't be perfectly healthy without mental stimulation and social interactions.
But that's not what you're asking but don't blame me for the loopholes as I didn't make them just found them.

It's magic.

Magic has no loopholes. ;)

An example that uses extremes for the purpose of illustration is only that.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Many doctors have said a person is either going to get or not get cancer of the lungs period but smoking cigarettes makes it happen a heck of a lot sooner. Or it's genetic if you will get cancer but you shift the time line by multiple decades. To me it's all what's worth more to you the risk or the smoking.
Oh and walking even less then one hour a day is a massive boon to health.
Yup. Changing lifestyle - exercise, healthier diet, and quitting cigarettes.
Not that I am advocating quitting pipes - this IS a Pipes Forums after all 😁

He did have a couple of stents @20 years ago.
And a pacemaker last year
Hence my comment on medical advancements
None of which were readily available when he had his heart attack in 1985

Both HIS parents lived into their 90’s (in Malaysia) - with little medical intervention (My grandmother was a firm believer in traditional Chinese herbal medicine)
So he was blessed with good genes to start with.