PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Found out today the place we like to go walking has so much snow, snowshoes are likely the answer, or so the wife mentioned a few times (didn’t I say last year we should look into it, I think I said that Thanksgiving, etc.) and I put off thinking about it for sure. Tempted just to dive into LL Bean, not knowing anything, but if anyone has do’s or don’ts I’m all ears!

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
The majority of my winter coats are LL BEAN. I grew up in Indiana where we had snow storms, blizzards, and ice storms. Looking back on it, I didn't grow up with all the thermal gear that's available today. When I was old enough to carry a shotgun, my dad would take me rabbit hunting and the day would start right before before sun up and we would walk all day in the snow for what seemed like miles to me. I remember just wearing tennis shoes and not doubling up on socks. I started chewing Levi Garrett on those trips when I was 12. I had such a tolerance for the cold back then. But I've always wanted to try snow shoes, and as just mentioned...I would Google it. Nice pic, a beautiful companion you have there.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I have used several types over the years. My favorite are Atlas Snowshoes. Very well made, easy to use binding/ strap system and they are designed to articulate some which aids in traversing slopes and on uneven terrain.
Great winter activity and way to get out see nature, hunt... get rid of cabin fever.
One of our favorite trips is up near a hot spring. Also, try borrowing or renting a pair to see how you like them. Make sure you get a pair matched to the total weight you plan on them supporting. I have one pair I use when I carry a heavier pack. I have another pair that are shorter that I use for day trips where I’m only carrying a small camels back pack with essentials.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I have used several types over the years. My favorite are Atlas Snowshoes. Very well made, easy to use binding/ strap system and they are designed to articulate some which aids in traversing slopes and on uneven terrain.
Great winter activity and way to get out see nature, hunt... get rid of cabin fever.
One of our favorite trips is up near a hot spring. Also, try borrowing or renting a pair to see how you like them. Make sure you get a pair matched to the total weight you plan on them supporting. I have one pair I use when I carry a heavier pack. I have another pair that are shorter that I use for day trips where I’m only carrying a small camels back pack with essentials.
So, you don't use this model or style anymore? xm8009_1080x.jpeg

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
When we lived in Maine, we went snowshoeing frequently. LL Bean was one town over and open 24/7. Don’t get the old wooden models. They are great for hanging over the fireplace, but the newer metal ones are more durable. Unlike skiing, instead of driving long distances to get to the destination, we could literally walk out the door and go, or at most drive to the golf course. It’s great exercise and a way to get out into beautiful countryside.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I haven't used snowshoes since my college days in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. As I recall they had wood frames with rawhide mesh, Alaskan style (long and thin) that were hand made in a small town near where I went to school. Pretty common sight to see snowshoes and cross country skies in the coat rooms outside the classrooms in the winter time. Pretty amazing bit of kit that really made it much easier to get around in deep powdery snow.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Atlas seems to get good reviews overall and LL Bean and REI (should have thought of that) seem to be sources for the same or similar. I was surprised to see "trail" oriented, more for walking snowshoes, I'd just wear boots, so paying attention to "flotation", haha, when reading up on them - want to be as "on top" as we can.

LOL, @warren, we have XC skis but haven't used them for a few years --- we'd both rather walk (although yesterday challenged that quite a bit - more like trudge and I took us out a little beyond what my wife would have considered her point of no return with 20 degrees, 25 mph wind in our faces on the way back in - oops). And if the going got tough, that little guy would be looking at me waiting to pick him up and carry him (unless he caught wind of a game bird) - he's a clown/wiener/manipulator/drama queen/fearless hunter rolled into one.

• Love
Reactions: Fralphog and Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
I just found a neat little video featuring some snowshoeing and footage of a wild Canadian Lynx chasing and catching a Snowshoe Hare.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
During the cold and on occasions when we had snow when I lived in the U.K I used to use these which not only stopped crud going into your boots but kept your legs warm on the motorcycle. Cheap, practical, plentiful in surplus stores and have been used by the British army right up to the late 1930s.

View attachment 194807
I currently keep a pair of Arctic Sport Muck boots near by for when the temperature gets down to freezing or below 0. They boast that they'll keep your feet warm down to -40F, they're steel toe which might explain why my feet still get cold (despite doubling up on thermal socks) if I'm not moving around. I'll have to look into those leg warmers 👍260532_1_41.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have snowshoes and cross country skis. I prefer snowshoeing. Haven't used either in the past few years due to knee problems.

Now that I recently received a new left knee, I'm hoping to get back into snowshoeing next winter.

I used to go snowshoeing a few days a week in the early morning at our local conservation districts. So quiet and peaceful being outside alone in the woods.

Sometimes I would bring my portable backpacking stove and make some hot tea while snowshoeing.

Damn, I miss snowshoeing.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I have snowshoes and cross country skis. I prefer snowshoeing. Haven't used either in the past few years due to knee problems.

Now that I recently received a new left knee, I'm hoping to get back into snowshoeing next winter.

I used to go snowshoeing a few days a week in the early morning at our local conservation districts. So quiet and peaceful being outside alone in the woods.

Sometimes I would bring my portable backpacking stove and make some hot tea while snowshoeing.

Damn, I miss snowshoeing.

Then the wife is onto something - she was game in snow up to her knees, lol, but not my favorite even though it doesn't come that far up on me, it's more work than I need on a hike/walk out in the snow - and we can't even get 20% of the way out to my favorite spot where there is a protected bench and a chance for a relax and :coffee: andpuffy

Reactions: scloyd and Zero