PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
It has taken me quite awhile to find this site and Im glad I did! Its gratifying to know that most folks in the pipe community are still like those here.

Of course, Im still out of a few nice pipes! LOL!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, it's a nice place to visit. Don't worry about the Pipes.

The way the PAD runs wild around here, you're bound to find more...

rlrideoutjr

Lurker
May 28, 2010
This has been one of the most interesting topics I have read...I have really enjoyed everyone's comments....I am so glad to be a part of this group and look forward to seeing the discussions everyday!!

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Flanative...what a great thread you've began! Also, my condolences to both you and the gentleman in the smoke shop. (Particularly that Assholes couldn't refrain from being Assholes in front of him and his boy.)
As far as pipe forums go, this is my favorite for several reasons. The main one is that the spirit here is to encourage others to enjoy their smoke with whatever means they have to do it and to give pointers on how they might go about getting there.
There are some great members here that smoke different brands of tobaccos than I care for or a brand of pipe that I'd rather not buy (or even a different platform of computer), but the fact remains that I don't have their tastebuds, their taste in pipes, or their taste in how they want to go about running applications. That's all perfectly acceptable. That seems to be the thing that bonds us here and it's a great thing.
Pipe smoking is sort of like reading a good book. You can read a great novel on yellowed pulp paper with ink that smudges. You can also read the same words from a book that has a cover that smells like calf skin, lays flat, has a built in ribbon bookmark, and has acid free pages that are a delight to touch. Either way, the same amount of enjoyment can be had.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
There are some forums that take the snobbery thing to a whole new level. I have pipes that cost a pretty penney and pipes all the way down to Yeloow Bowls. If it smokes good, I smoke it. I do appreciate the artistry and wonderful grain patterns of nice pipes, and I have some because of this, but when it comes down to it, how it smokes is my number one factor.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The idea is to smoke your pipe and enjoy what you smoke . Often the most expensive things in life are not the ones that are the best . I can be just as happy with a Cuban Trinidad or Swisher Sweet , A Dunhill or a Amphora , Some PA or Holger Danske .Life has little meaning unless it can be shared . On a trip to Napa Valley while at the Beringer winery the host said it best 'The best kind of wine to drink is the kind you like , so drink up we do not spit it back in the glass here ' how refreshing after a day with the snobs . Here is to life and sharing .

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I don't see enough pipe smokers either to notice anyone being excluded. Our local BM is also nice to everyone - the owner will find just the right pipe for you. The first time I went there price wasn't discussed, instead he focused on what kind of pipe I need. (sadly I got it into my head that I had to get Squadron Leader although I never had tried latakia before. I still hate the taste of latakia because of that. Luckily he recommended some other tobaccos to try too or I would have quit pipes forever.)
I do like well made pipes with a nice grain pattern and shape, because they are nice to look at and to hold.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I always thought the rule was that you smoke what you like and like what you smoke?
I mean in my direct circle of friends, I have a friend who smokes RYO Cigarettes, a Cigar smoker, one who smokes those little 'Clove Cigars' and I'm the token pipesmoker. There is always the quip or two on each other, but they're always in jest and in the name of good fun...

storm

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
I've not met many in person, but the pipe smokers I have known have been true gentlemen. Somewhat eccentric, many of them, but always gentlemen and always interesting.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
You only get to be called "eccentric" if you make over 2 million a year...the rest of us are just weird! LOL!

Ill be here all week1

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Man, I love this site. This topic has made me feel great about what I own. One day My wife will let me spend on a big dollar pipe, until then I will smoke what I have with pide and never leave them out in the cold. (except the dang Puff's with rhinestones)

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I don't own a single top brand pipe. I know if i did i would be quite proud of it and surely show it off. Either way, i own many pipes i do like and really don't care what the msrp was. one of my favorite pipes is a uniquely shaped dr grabow viscount i bought for 6 bucks an an antique shop.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I own quite a few so called "expensive " pipes. Not one cost me over fifty dollars. I buy estates and some of the cheapest ones are the best smokers (he says while stuffing a yellow bole). My best pipe smoking buddy lives better than five hours away but when we get together we raise a real fog!

superdan

Lurker
Sep 28, 2010
so far i have experienced no snobbery, especially not here! all i have so far is one 12 dollar no name briar, and a pack of captain black white, but i'm loving the fellowship and friendship of this pipe smoking community. you guys are great!

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
This happens with just about anything that gets popular: Coffee, wine, bands (well their earlier stuff was far supriour to ... blah, blah blah). I saw the same thing happen with beer. Substitue "Half/Half" of this story with Budweiser. I bet this last statement will stiffen a few necks.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Most people on this planet suffer from the "Illusion of Superiority" which causes 90% of our problems. When we learn that we are all "One" and are equal, then we can have hope. We spend 900 BILLION on warfare, each YEAR, which is more than enough to provide food, clothing, and very nice shelter for everyone on the planet, but we are all consumed with competition which has evolved from a complete brainwashing. We put everything into social groups, all competing with each other, and are constantly told that we have to be "winners" with no concern over anyone in a lower group. Religions are the worst, claiming the title of having killed more people over God than all other reasons. Like Rodney King once said, " Why can't we all just get along?"
Ok, off my soapbox....LOL...that was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.