PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
My blasted Ashton Pebble Grain, Ferndown Reo Bark, Savinelli Nonpareil, and blasted Sav Antique Shell are my coolest smoking pipes. Of course they are the thickest walled pipes I own so that is a definite factor also. It stands to reason that the increased surface area in theory should dissipate heat more heat than a smooth but there are so many external factors involved that I don't know that is noticeable. Personally I have been leaning toward blasted finishes lately because the look is growing on me and I like the way they feel in my hand, not because they smoke any different than a smooth finish.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Smooth pipes smoke cooler than rusticated ? Sorry, that dog won't hunt. There are more variables involved than just the finish.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Non scientific speculative claptrap. Somebody show me the thermography delta in that 1/32nd of an inch of rustication. Fer chrissakes, does common sense ever play a role in this stuff?

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Non scientific speculative claptrap. Somebody show me the thermography delta in that 1/32nd of an inch of rustication. Fer chrissakes, does common sense ever play a role in this stuff?
Nope. Its all "placebo" in my opinion (it seems cooler so it MUST be cooler!). I also found amusing the rather lengthy post stating that pipes lit with matches smoked cooler than ones lit with lighters. Pure psuedoscience woo.

Aug 14, 2012
Guys: I just posted a full explanation on the other thread that Lord ofthepiperings refers to. The main reason is that greater surface area means more stain, and if it is bad tasting, which many stains are, the pipe does not taste as good. It also means more wax, which doesn't taste very good.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I have both smooth and sandblasted pipes in my 33 bowl collection. I have not found any difference in the quality of the smoke although I prefer the feel of a smooth bowl and the beauty of the smooth brier. I also find that they both smoke equally hot or cool depending upon technique. I'm a clencher so my pipes do get rather hot before I even realize what's happening. The difference is that when holding a rusticated pipe your hand is not touching the entire surface of the brier but only the outer most surfaces of the rustication so the pipe may appear to feel cooler. If you were to really hold a rusticated bowl tightly touching more of the surface the temperature would probably feel just as hot. My most recent pipe acquisition is a Savinelli Hercules smooth bowl with very thick walls. Surprisingly, this bowl too gets mighty hot and understandably so because there's a hell of a tobacco pack producing copious amounts of heavenly smoke. Penzance in this pipe is a two hour event.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
It seems the majority of us agree there is no difference and if there is it can be contributed to a lot of other variables? Foggy mountin I do not mean to be disrespectful or anything im just trying to figure out your reasoning and your source? And honestly why the hell does it matter if one smokes a fraction hotter. It's so minimal if at all noticeable it shouldn't be a deciding factor if you were choosing between a sandblast or a rusticated or a smooth finish pipe. Again this is IMO and I'm sick do if I come across rude I'm sincerely apologize.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I think it depends on the pipe, the tobacco and sometimes the weather. IDK if rustication or smooth finish makes a big difference.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I've not noticed a difference but I go along with those who say blasted/rusticated may smoke a bit cooler. I'd say the more important contributing factor is what the wood was finished with -Waxs, oils etc.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
like sayin' all blondes are better then all brunette's it just depends on the lady. (btw, everyone knows red-heads are always the best)

Aug 14, 2012
Of course a blasted pipe smokes cooler. I taste the wax and stain on the outside of pipes. If you do not, you are fortunate because they don't always taste good.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Even if there was stain or wax inside the bowl once you built up some cake you probably wouldn't taste it any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.